Inaccessible kitchen hot water tap rotating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly mother's hot water tap on her kitchen sink is very very loose and rotating and wobbling. She has individual taps for hot and cold. The sink is a stainless steel basin and the taps are supplied by flexi hose. I have managed to get my hand up the back of the underside of the basin and have established that the white hexagonal nut appears to have the threads stripped. It moves up the copper screw part of the tap but is really just pushing up therefore not tightening the tap. I can't see well enough to start disconnecting the water supply and replacing the nut and the sink is securely fitted and the worktops have uprights at the back so taking the sink out is not really an option, aside from which she has just had a severe heart attack and is recuperating slowly - she couldn't cope with the stress. Can anyone suggest a way to resolve the problem meanwhile?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid the only real way is to disconnect the water supply to the tap, and replace that ghastly plastic back nut with a brass one.....happens all the time.
Its a dead simple job if you can turn the water off....and there's a good chance that the sealing washer on the flexy pipe will be ok.
B&Q etc do them individually if you need one though.
John :)

You have 2 choices:

1. Call a plumber

or

2. Buy these and do it yourself.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-jaw-dropper-plumbing-wrench/99190

But at £55 it would work out quite expensive.

Plus the cost of a new set of taps.

Don't forget if you diy it it could take you all day, a plumber will do it within 30 minutes, just make sure you have the new taps on site when he arrives. Also new fibre washers will be needed, but he should have these in the van.

To help you look what needs to be done, put your mobile phone onto video and stick it up under the sink then you can view what's needs to be done.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Just re-read your post, forget the fibre washers and fit new flex's.

John you too dam quick!!!!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back