Inbuilt Microwave Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ikea kitchen will be installed shortly and I was thinking of adding a compact inbuilt Microwave to one of the wall cabinets above left of the induction hob. Problem I see is:

Depth of the Ikea cabinet is 390mm the Microwave depth is 331mm but looking at the documentation you need an extra 120mm for ventilation which means I would be short by approx 60mm give or take. There is a metal trim that attaches to the top of the microwave at the rear that is 120mm.

Can I not install the trim and leave 60mm?
Or another thought was to get the builder to dig another 60mm into the plaster/brick to make the 120mm?

A real dilemma for us, as we would love an inbuilt microwave.

Any suggestions would be great. This microwave will match our oven/ hob/ colour brand so we want to keep the same. (I called the manufacturer they said there has to be 120mm for guarantee)

Sponsored Links
"I called the manufacturer they said there has to be 120mm for guarantee)"
It seems you have answered your own questions. We cannot always have what we want. I wouldn't recommend digging holes in the wall to fit it. Can't you just have it on wall brackets instead of in a cupboard.

Personally I'd go with 60mm and make sure the cavity is well ventilated.

Sponsored Links
Didn't bother in the end, guarantee would be void on microwave, electrician who is hear today said "no". Not worth the hassle, will put a little microwave on worktop space...thanks all for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back