Incoming electrical supply - can it be simplified

I think Fuse 4 is a filler being used as a connector block.

Old cutout arrangement was probably taller/bigger and fitted the conduit directly. New head fitted which was shorter and didn't reach the old tail or tail end damaged so used what was in the van to make up the difference.

Sponsored Links
I think Fuse 4 is a filler being used as a connector block. Old cutout arrangement was probably taller/bigger and fitted the conduit directly. New head fitted which was shorter and didn't reach the old tail or tail end damaged so used what was in the van to make up the difference.
That's pretty credible. I have been thinking/suspecting/writing all along that one of them probably contains a link, rather than a fuse. Of course, there might not have been a suitable 'link' available 'in the van' - so it's possible that, even if your theory is right, both might contain fuses!

Kind Regards, John

Quite possibly but I wouldn't class that as a modern cut-out by any means, the fuse carrier design looks to be more a 1960s 60A type with possibly a compound fills chamber beneath, it is quite possible the incoming cable will be a 3 core as well

I also wonder how that conduit (and your neighbour) is earthed.
Via a decent earth rod, I hope, same as the OPs installation, there being no sign of any earth connections to the incoming supply cables.

But that bolt with all the G/Y cables wrapped around it doesn't look very clever.

Sponsored Links
Via a decent earth rod, I hope, same as the OPs installation, there being no sign of any earth connections to the incoming supply cables.

Though given that we can't see the cable beneath the cut-out where an earth connection would be made I would suggest that might be an erroneous comment

Excellent, thanks this is all good information.

I think I've realised the question I should have asked initially:

Does it look OK and is it safe? Who should I get to look at it to do some tests or fix any issues?

I'll try and see if I can get in next door to see if it connects through to them.

Thanks again for all the info, it's very interesting.

Oh, and regarding the comment about the carpet - it has been pushed back a little so that I could see where the wires went. The carpet wasn't covering the fuses/meter.

Dan

Though given that we can't see the cable beneath the cut-out where an earth connection would be made I would suggest that might be an erroneous comment
It might be.

But I can't see a cable running to the earth bolt, and I can't see one going to, or into, the conduit.

I think I've realised the question I should have asked initially:
Does it look OK and is it safe? Who should I get to look at it to do some tests or fix any issues?
I think your side of it is probably reasonably safe - apart, possibly, from the issue about earthing (or the lack of it) which is being discussed. That certainly could do with being looked at - since if you don't have satisfactory earthing, than could be seriously unsafe.

As for the (presumed) supply to 'next door', as westie said, you should probably ask the DNO whether they want to do something about the fact that the neighbour's service fuse seems to be in your property - which could be an issue if there were an urgent (or even non-urgent) need to isolate that house's supply and access to your house could not be obtained. At he same time, it might make sense to ask them about the size of cable on the (presumed) 'next door' bits (although that could be an optical illusion in the photo).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back