Incompetence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a job last week for a friend of mine.

All he wanted was 3 wall lights wiring in the living room, a couple of single sockets changing for twins, the dreaded downlighters fitting in his bathroom, and a few other odds and sods.

He has had some building work done to his house and the builder brought in his own electrician to do a few alterations for a wall that was being moved, such as move the landing two way, remove an old shower circuit, wire a bathroom fan, and a few other bits.

This electrician told my customer that he had checked the installation an all was ok.

I turned up having being told this expecting a nice easy job.

I found the following:

TT installation.

No RCD to either lighting circuit

No RCD to cooker.

Unable to trace connection to the earth rod. I pulled the wire going from the rod through the wall it was cut off!

Water bonded in the wrong place

Gas bond inaccessible and in the wrong place.

Downstairs lights fed in three core. The red was hanging out of the fuseboard!

The CPC for the downstairs lights was cut off at the CU.

Joint box for kitchen light inaccesible under newly tiled bathroom floor. This was installed by the other electrician

Supply to the alarm fed in 1.0mm² direct of the 32A sockets CB. The wire was loose in the sockets CB. This cable also had a loose joint box on it to supply the boiler. The CPC was cut off at the boiler.

No RCD to bathroom lights, and no cross bonding in bathroom.

Old shower supply stuffed up into loft with taped up end.

SWA to outhouse running staight into insulated CU. Armour cut away and not earthed.

Two way for landing lights doesn't work due to incorrectly wired switch.

But apart from that... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Get him back to see if he's "part P" registered and shaft him, this guy has to be prevented from doing shoddy stuff

Get him back to see if he's "part P" registered and shaft him, this guy has to be prevented from doing shoddy stuff
Ah, if only.

That guy probably sees himself as a fully qualified electrician... just like all the others. Trust me, the RFs of this world are few and very, very far between.

Sponsored Links
Apart from the JB, the "electrician" wasn't responsible for any of that. For sure he missed spotting a huge number of problems which needed rectifying but your friend is probably better off that he didn't, because it doesn't sound like he'd want the guy trying to sort them out.

OOI, if the JB was concealed under tiles how do you know it's there?

That guy probably sees himself as a fully qualified electrician... just like all the others.
Maybe he does, but he is mistaken.

And being mistaken does not mean that he should be immune from a shafting, it does not mean that a complaint should not be made to his registration body, it does not mean that the builder should not be reported to TSO.

aman1l.jpg

When you say no RCD to the lighting circuits, is that as well as an MCB, because if it is my house is wrong as well.

Apart from the JB, the "electrician" wasn't responsible for any of that.

He installed a fan in the bathroom, so he is responsible for ensuring the circuit is RCD protected as required by regulation 701.411.3.3.

He wired the boiler.

He wired the kitchen light to a circuit with no CPC.

He IS responsible to ensure that the circuit is earthed.

OOI, if the JB was concealed under tiles how do you know it's there?

Because I had to remove part of the kitchen ceiling to get to it.

What I meant was that the guy didn't create any of those problems.

If he'd found them and/or decided to fix them then your friend would have had to pay extra for that extra work.

The guy rode away leaving a sub-standard installation, and deserves a good kicking, but your friend can now proceed to get all the fixes he needs doing by someone competent and conscientious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back