Increasing shower flow combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone.

I have Worcester 24i junior combi boiler (not the green star, the previous model) and live on 4th floor.

Whenever shower is used, it's impossible to have constant mix of warm water. There's a good pressure in hot and cold water taps separately, however when mixed the pressure drops. I'm having to fine tune the shower to a good temperature, but then after 2-3 min it gets cold (boiler stops heating it due to low HW flow I assume) so I have to full blast the hot water tap for hot water to come through, when it does (1-2 min later) I have to turn it down as not to burn myself, shower for 2-3 min, but then it gets cold again so I open the HW tap more and wait for it to come through and the process begins all over. Story of my life.

Water doesn't stop heating if it's mixed on too hot, but when it's at a good temperature it gets cold, due to low water flow.

This is due to low cold water pressure I assume?
I google quite a bit and am planning to install Salamander Home Boost pump, it's expensive, so I wanted to see what you experts advice before I make a mistake.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I dont think its your boiler, take the head off the shower and see if you can get the water to stabilize, if it does get a bigger shower head and also check the hot and cold supplies are fitted the right way round properly

Picasso, thanks for the reply.
I just took the shower head off and the HW is constant. At what point in the system would I check if hot and cold supplies are fitted the right way round?

If your hot water is at a (comfortable ) temp you need a bigger shower head, dont wory about the supplies, if they were the wrong way round the temperature would not stabilize.

Sponsored Links
Or just clean out the holes of lime scale or even reamer them out a little to get a higher flow.

A quick fix is to set the shower and turn on a hot basin tap a little to ensure the boiler stays on.

I think your stupid boiler does not have a hot water temperature control.

As weather gets colder and water comes in colder the problem may go away as the boiler output temperature reduces.

Tony

Tony,

You are 100% correct this model doesn't have HW temperature control.
This has been an issue since I can remember I just never got around fixing it, I will clean out the shower head.
Your idea about the basin tap is brilliant!!! Can't believe I never though about it. Many thanks for advise!
Is there a way of increasing water flow permanently? We will be doing some tiling in a bathroom, this will probably be the only chance to do something in a long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back