Independent control of heating in two rooms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to control the temperature of two rooms independently a bedroom and living room although there is a hall, wet room and kitchen these can really take care of them selves if the boiler runs when either of the two main rooms need heat.

I really need double pole thermostats one pole for radiator the other for the boiler “JG Speedfit JGPRTE Programmable Room Thermostat 240V” seems to fit the bill but can’t find a wiring diagram to find if single or double pole.

The “JG Speedfit Actuator Valve 240V” looks the part and looks as if it would clip onto an existing TRV but again description is rather vague.

With two sets of contacts on a thermostat one can open the valve and the other fire up the boiler. The contacts to fire up boiler on both thermostats would be in parallel. Theory is easy it is practice is the hard bit as info is so restricted on the products.

Two “Horstmann DRT2 Programmable Digital Room Thermostat” in each room or a relay would do the same as a double pole thermostat the relay would seem best option but then one has a problem of where to mount the relay.

So any ideas of suitable products? Once fitted I hope I will never need to touch them, however I would still want something that in an emergency any good electrician can repair.

Sponsored Links
If you can get to the pipes you could fit a standard zone valve to each radiator and use the micro switch in that to control the boiler.

If you need relays then this works well click here but care over the choice of relays with 230 V AC coils

Agreed, i'd use a standard zone valve, as it keeps things nice and simple. Even if you cant get into the floor, you can probably just about squeeze one into the radiator tails.

The zone valve also deals with the call for heat, so you dont need to mess around with dual pole wotsits.

Your room stat applies power to the zone valve which opens and activates a microswitch, which is connected to the boiler to turn it on.

I had considered zone valves. But it's a lot of work fitting them and first idea was to fit something simple like these
i35.jpg
but it leaves the problem of how to switch boiler on and off.

Sponsored Links
I had considered zone valves. But it's a lot of work fitting them and first idea was to fit something simple like these
i35.jpg

It would be a neat solution if those units had a wireless link back to a boiler control unit. Then if any one of them called for heat, the boiler would turn on
The receiver could be integrated with the main CH programmer, perhaps.
Or you could do without a central programmer and just rely on the programmability of each valve.

I wonder if anyone makes a system that does this?

i35.jpg

It would be a neat solution if those units had a wireless link back to a boiler control unit. Then if any one of them called for heat, the boiler would turn on
The receiver could be integrated with the main CH programmer, perhaps.
Or you could do without a central programmer and just rely on the programmability of each valve.

I wonder if anyone makes a system that does this?

Honeywell Evohome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back