Indesit machine thinks it's full

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my indersit has decided the cold weather was too much for it. When it's supply pipes thawed out today (it's in a garage) I put it on and when I came to remove the washing, it was sodden.

I cleared the drainage filter, pump and hose to check there was no problem there.

Put it on again, and now it won't fill. It gets stuck on the initial drain.

The drain is working, but the machine thinks it isn't. Here's what I've done to confirm that.

Put four litres of water in the drum, place drainage hose in bucket above machine.
Start cycle.
Draining pump works immediately and pumps all the water out with no problem.
The drainage pump doesn't stop and keeps going for a few minutes. It eventually gives up, but then the machine won't draw any water, apparently because it thinks it's been unable to drain.

I therefore think it's either the pressure switch or the pcb.

So my questions are
(a) is that a reasonable diagnosis?
(b) is there a way to tell which it is (other than buying new ones of both)?
(c) Have I missed something?

Sponsored Links
i would be tempted to turn it off at the mains and warm it up to perhaps 15 degrees for maybe a few hours to drive out the damp and try again

jj4091 - Spin cycle works entirely as expected, including the draining at the end. What does this mean?

big-all - sounds like a good idea. I'll bring it inside for some warmth and tlc later. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
It means the motor brushes are OK. You could try removing the pipe from the pressure switch & blowing down it in case there is a blockage at the pump end. I'm not sure if your pressure sensor is just a open/closed switch or an electronic device so cannot advise on how to test. If you can blow into it & hear a clicking noise as it actuates & de-actuates then the chances are it is a switch that you can just do a resistance check on.

Try cleaning the sump, grease accumalated there can trigger the pump and because it cannot be shifted machine will not then take on any more water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back