Indoor ground level drain smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I was working for a temp agency and they sent me to the BFI recycling plant for a day of site cleanup. When I got there I found out that I would be working on the fibre line and that we would be doing a garbage audit. My lucky day. Anyways when I got home needless to say I washed my clothes and boots immediately but the garbage smell got on the floor and wall of our ground level entry porch. There is a drain in the middle of the porch floor so when I washed the walls and floor a little bit of the soapy water drained into the drain. The garbage smell was mostly gone then, but by about the next day the drain really started to stink. My roomate was joking that I had awoken a demon in the drain, the smell was almost worse than before. I tried pouring boiled water down there and that ki d of worked but also produced an earthy smell in addition to the lesser garbage smell. I next tried pouring a little bleach into the drain but that only made things worse so I went back to boiling water. It has been a couple days and the earthy-garbage smell is showing no signs of goign away. Has anyone dealt with something like this and know what to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Hey ya okay it was bags of garbage with a lot of food including meat and fish. The smell was a very generic garbage smell but also a very fishy smell. Organic matter in general I guess. There were wet corn based casseroles and many other foodstufs. There was also many of these white plastic buckets with what seemed like brown paint in them. But since the smell had a distictly fishy smell I am going to havee to say it was fish. I wast aware of splashing much of any of it on me so that is why I am so confused here. It must have been fish juice on my boots.

That’s strange. The steps you did are usually enough. There’s probably a big chunk of meat or something stuck in there for the smell to persist this long. Perhaps you should open the drain and check the inside.

Sponsored Links
you need to breakdown whatever organic material is rotting inside your drain.

search online for vinegar or carbon (charcoal etc) based treatments. carbon can absorb bad odors and vinegar can neutralize the rotting stuff. i've tried pouring down some vinegar and baking soda into a drain and it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back