Induction hob damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've just had an induction hob fitted, a Hotpoint with flexi space. After first use of a new frying pan and 3rd use of a new saucepan, some weird marks have formed on the pattern of the hob ring, they have turned a silver colour in patches... see photos (very tricky to pick up in a photo due to glare!). It cannot be wiped off with cloth and water, seems to be a permanent change. Has anyone else experienced this and know what's causing it? Faulty hob? The pans... or something else? It only seems to have happened in the Flexi Space zone, both sections of it. That could just be coincidence. Any help much appreciated! I'm considering sending it back for a replacement, but don't want it to just happen again! Thanks
:)

Attachments

• 20230202_170204.jpg
    20230202_170204.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230202_170218.jpg
    20230202_170218.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Yes, not top of the range, but Tefal Ingenio which is marketed as Induction cookware (but suitable for all hobs). It is yet to happen with my ProCook frying pan though - but a few initial uses of the Tefal saucepan created no marks either, until it did! All brand new pans.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link freddie, the only thing is it's not an actual mark on the hob surface, but just a change in colour of the pattern that exists on the Hotpoint rings. I don't actually know if these patterns are important to the functioning or even safety of the hob, or if it is indeed just cosmetic and caused by heat (it was on a mid-low heat setting and happened the instant the pan touched the surface).

Thanks for the link freddie, the only thing is it's not an actual mark on the hob surface, but just a change in colour of the pattern that exists on the Hotpoint rings. I don't actually know if these patterns are important to the functioning or even safety of the hob, or if it is indeed just cosmetic and caused by heat (it was on a mid-low heat setting and happened the instant the pan touched the surface).
I would be complaining to the point of purchase or Hotpoint...

Thanks SpecialK. Currently they have suggested ceramic hob cleaning cream to leave a layer of protection and said it could be iron deposits in the water (although dry pans were used). They said it is not to do with the mechanism...

It'll be a costly replacement even at no cost for the hob and delivery, given removal/installation costs by an electrician. So I'm hoping to establish whether this is something fairly common, harmless and whether it is likely to occur again.

I've tried ceramic hob cream and microfibre cloth with no effect. It seems to be an alteration to the pattern rather than something that can be cleared off.

I've tried ceramic hob cream and microfibre cloth with no effect. It seems to be an alteration to the pattern rather than something that can be cleared off.
The pattern is on the other side of the glass by the looks of it. No amount of cleaning etc is going to remove it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back