induction hob installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on installing an induction hob into the work surface above an appliance ( probably the fridge) but someone has told me they induce heat in nearby metal. A hob they know of made cutlery, in a drawer below it, grow warm.
Any one know what the limitations are on siting these kind of hobs?

Sponsored Links
I suspect your first port of call should be the manufacturers instructions.

They will undoubtedly tell you how much room you need to leave around the hob and how close it can be to other things.

I don't think there is a regulation that does not permit this, but logic and common scene, should really prevail.
Always read the manufacturers instruction (both appliances)
Consideration to worktop depth, hob depth, height of appliance/fridge and height beneath the worktop and ventilation offered to these appliances, would all be key factors.
You are going to get some heat dissipation from both appliance. Then if we also consider using an appliance that in it's nature of operation, is to get very hot, in very close proximity to one that is to keep cool, does not sound like a very sensible or logical design.

Sponsored Links
Induction hobs create more than 90 % of the heat in the base of the sauce pan with some minmal heat being generated ( as waste ) in the electronics. Almost all have a fan to circulate air to remove this waste heat and thus ventilation MUST be available under the hobs as per the manufacturers requirements.

There is virtually no heating by induction under the hobs, the warming of the cutlery may have been by warm air from the cooling system of the hobs. Free movent of air to and from the hobs ventilation may have been obstructed by the cutlery drawer.

Induction hobs create more than 90 % of the heat in the base of the sauce pan with some minmal heat being generated ( as waste ) in the electronics. Almost all have a fan to circulate air to remove this waste heat and thus ventilation MUST be available under the hobs as per the manufacturers requirements.

There is virtually no heating by induction under the hobs, the warming of the cutlery may have been by warm air from the cooling system of the hobs. Free movent of air to and from the hobs ventilation may have been obstructed by the cutlery drawer.

Excellent info!! That explains everything- including why I won't be siting an appliance underneath the hob. :D

Many thanks

Depends what it is. Maybe not a fridge, but an oven, or WM/DW/TD would be OK, if you had enough clearance at the top.

Take a look at free-standing cookers with induction hobs - how much space is there between the hob and the oven or grill?

I am planning on installing an induction hob into the work surface above an appliance
If you haven't chosen it yet, think about control positions when you go looking - it's quite common for some dork of a designer to locate them so that a frying pan will obscure them:

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/induction-hob-normal-plug.335062/#2493209

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/hob-replacement.369100/#2808852

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1416724#1416724

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back