Inductive Proximity Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current proximity switch got damaged and I need a replacement and I am finding it difficult to find one online.

I did find one but it was a 2-wire switch and the one I have is a 3-wire switch. At the minute I can bypass the switch by looping the live to the return wire. The 3rd wire is like an earth but I would like to know if a 3-wire proximity switch is actually needed and a 2-wire will actually do the job perfectly?

It a 5-60 Vdc, 400mA PNP barrel sensor switch.

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
A two wire will generally be fine, just make sure you get the correct type (normally open or normally closed) ... 3 wire provide both (like one way and two way light switches).
Try DigiKey (0800) 5870991 or (0800) 9047786

Edited cos I missed a bit ... Too early, not enough caffeine :LOL:

Some of the ones we use are 3 wire as they require a positive and negative supply. They also have a little LED on them to indicate wether or not they closed. Agreed you need to select the correct type, what make is the one you have?

From all I can get of the sticker is 'sala-burgess'. There could be a letter missing from the start. There is an led on the one I have.

Sponsored Links
What does it feed into, is it relay logic or is it a PLC? What sensing distance? We generally use Turck switches, which type depends on its environment.

It would be a relay logic. Sensing distance would be between 5-10mm. I could travel up the country, 80-90mile to get it but you would have to pay an arm and a leg.

I might end up going that route.

RS Components have a great selection of proximity switches though I'm not sure if they sell to the general public. You may need an account or know somebody who has an account to order.

RS is the place that I can find one which seems to match what I am looking for but it is only 2-wire.

Like mentioned in a post above, 2-wire could be fine.

I might have to take a chance with this one and hope for the best.

RS Stock no. 285-712 for those interested.

Just to mention, the sensor I have is 400mA so must I find one that is also 400mA?

what size are you after? m8 m12 m18 ? prewired or with plug?

a 2wire dc one will replace a 3 wire dc one ,just doesnt need a -ve,

telemechanique do 2wire ac and dc supplied 10-60vdc. 60??-240v proxy's in variety of sizes ie you can connect the one proxy to either ac or dc

There are some 2 wire ones on the market that are configurable depending on how you connect them up - PNP or NPN N/O or N/C any combination ;)

Some of the ones we use even have a remote amplifier with 2 double throw contacts on which can be configured for a number of different funtions i.e. if the prox switch is removed the 2nd contact can be configured to open as a fail.

Sorry for not getting back. I had to take a quick flight and only getting around to sort this out, now that I am back.

Anyhow I have come across several sites that sell them but I don't seem to spot the correct one especially the 400ma ones.

Now my understanding is the sensor requires 400ma of current (which the damaged sensor is) so does the sensor I want have to be 400ma? Could a 250ma one do the job?

The sensor I want is running of 12v.

Cheers.

Switching between 3 different steering ranges depending on what setting you have choosen. For a JCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back