Ineffective damp course in garage...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I went out to give the garage a tidy and a sweep and found this. It has been raining quite heavily yesterday and today, but surely this shouldn’t be happening?

C73117B4-064E-4317-99D9-86B1502FB985.jpeg
73023D7B-D99D-498F-9EF7-40E60122014B.jpeg
99B923D4-2351-422D-813C-DD36E48E975C.jpeg

To my (very untrained) eye, it looks like the damp course is too high, it’s half a brick above the concrete floor.

Is this wrong, and what can I do? House is only just less than 4yrs old. Garage is detached, and only single skin walls

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's fine, garages are not intended to be habitable spaces, the only requirement is that the garage itself shouldn't be damaged by the moisture.
If you want to make it dry you can lay something on top with a suitable dpc. Normally for a house the DPM would lap the dpc.

So I went out to give the garage a tidy and a sweep and found this. It has been raining quite heavily yesterday and today, but surely this shouldn’t be happening?

View attachment 139994 View attachment 139995 View attachment 139996

To my (very untrained) eye, it looks like the damp course is too high, it’s half a brick above the concrete floor.
It probably starts level at the back and slopes down to the front to allow for drainage.
This is normal for a garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back