Information required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a simple question which i need answering.

Are you allowed to come from your house gas supply to service a detached granny flat 25 ft in length by 16 ft wide, which is situated 30 meters away at the bottom of the garden.

or

Does one need to come from the gas supply from the road?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
My educated guess is that regs would not allow you to run a copper gas supply from your house 25 metres away due to risk of damage to gas pipe be it running underground or otherwise.
My bet would be that transco would have to run you a supply off the main and install you another meter.
See what the experts think :)

In theory you can do it but in practice it's too far away to avoid more than 1mb drop off even on a tiny appliance. Therefor new branch and own meter most likey.

Sponsored Links
for what its wiorth, where i used to live, it had no gas, (main gas to all others but never needed where i was)

Transco fitted gas supply for £100, took bloke 2 x 3/4 days to do it, poor bloke dug everything up by hand, then filled it in afterwards (i didnt see ,but neighbour did)

i was thinking that if the Flat has no gas it may be considered as a new property so not cost that much to do

Did a house into two flats last year in South London and the quotes for the three services came to £3+K to split. (unless my builder buddy was having me over!

It is possible to run a supply to the annex but it would normally be underground in yellow PE pipe same as Transco,s but bear in mind to calculate the size required and also a normal domestic gas meter only can pass enough gas for your average sized house so calculate your total maximum load and if 2nd boiler going in annex pressumably a combi then it may get costly as poss larger gas service and larger gas meter required ,not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back