Infrared Heating setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to install some infrared panels in 3 rooms. Previously there has been no permanent heating in these rooms.

I'm looking to use a Honeywell T6R Smart thermostat but my question is, do I need one of these in each room connected to one of the infrared panels or can I have 1 in a central location and then a more "basic" thermostat in each of the other rooms?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, let me stress I have no pretensions to expertise or experience in this area. However, I'm not sure any normal central heating thermostat will work for what you want to do.

Infra red heating is highly localised. If you stand with infra red heat directed towards you, you will feel the warmth, but the air around you won't warm from the infra red. As far as I'm aware all central heating thermostats work by detecting the air temperature. If the air is never heated (except a little by conduction from bodies warmed by the infra red) an ordinary thermostat will never be triggered.

Infra red heating is highly localised. If you stand with infra red heat directed towards you, you will feel the warmth, but the air around you won't warm from the infra red. As far as I'm aware all central heating thermostats work by detecting the air temperature. If the air is never heated (except a little by conduction from bodies warmed by the infra red) an ordinary thermostat will never be triggered.[/QUOTE]
This is my perception of infra red. Where I've seen it used, mainly in industrial workshops, it has been switched on at the start of occupancy and switched off when the area is vacated.

Sponsored Links
As well as Infrared Heating being locaialised and not normally controlled by thermostat as explained by oilhead, the instructions for the Honeywell T6R state that it is not suitable for electric heating.

Capture.JPG

This is probably because the switching contacts are only suitable for the very small currents associated with boiler control circuits, and will not withstand the current required by an electric heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back