Inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I emptied my Fernox TF1 filter today and noticed there was some black water and some bits of something. I guess the filter is doing it's job which is good.

I was wondering if 1litre of Fernox Protector F1 will be good for topping up the inhiibitor in my system.

I take it I just fill up on the towel radiator, but as I've re-pressurised my system, will there be room for 1litre?

As you can tell i've never done this before, so after some advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No need to disturb any radiators close the TF1 valves drain it into a bucket then pour the inhibitor into the TF1 then open the valves top up and vent the TF1 all done

Thanks for the reply, do I unscrew the top of the fernox filter? Also will 1litre of the protector do, or shall I go with another brand?

Thanks

Quantity depends on size of your system, usually states on the bottle around 10 rads / litre.. it's ok to over dose on inhibitor.. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, do I unscrew the top of the fernox filter? Also will 1litre of the protector do, or shall I go with another brand?

Thanks
yes just close the valves and unscrew same as cleaning the magnet, then open the valve at the bottom and drain it into a bucket or bowl close the drain valve then add the inhibitor, have a look on the boiler or in the benchmark book for the boiler if you have one and it should say what inhibitor has already been used, I always try to use the same , I dont like mixing brands, 1L is usually adequate but you dont need to worry about using too much, you would have to seriously overdose it before you would have a problem

Oh I think I understand you now i've looked at my filter. On top of the filter I remove the bleed vavle, and pour in my inhibitor (I pretend I knew that, but I just watched this crazy guy :D
)

Before I do that though, is it worth me pouring in F3 during winter (I guess same procedure as above) leave it a week (as I'll be using central heating), drain the system, re-fill and add F1 - Job done? I'm thinking F3 as some of the radiators is a bit cooler down the bottom and wouldn't be surprised if there's some sludge (I don't want to go down the route of powerflushing as it's more money than F3 and F1 especially as I can do it myself, I hope, and I don't think it really needs it)

Thanks

Last edited:
yes you can do it like that, best practice though is when you have the cleanser in the system run one radiator at a time with the rest closed off for an hour os so to soften up any crud in each rad

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back