Injector missing from boiler - is it dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Turns out our fairly new 40 kW combi, has been running without the injector for months. The gas engineer forgot it when he swapped the gas valve out last year.

So the boiler (Ideal Vogue Max) has been running without one for several months, and also making loud noises. The injector is finally now back in.

From what I understand, the injector regulates gas flow. Should we be concerned health-wise about any harmful gas released, or contamination of the water coming from the boiler?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No way will your water be contaminated , and any harmful gas would be going outside but amazed it worked without explosive ignition and making loud bangs it very well may have damaged the burner /electrodes heat exchanger .
If it was same guy refitting injector that forgot it i would be getting someone to do a second opinion on condition of boiler

Has that stopped the loud noises?
Hi and thanks. Now that the injector is back in, it has stopped making the loud noise

My concern is more if there could be any on-going safety issues caused by the months of "misuse" until the injector was put back in, in terms of gases released or quality of the water.

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks. Now that the injector is back in, it has stopped making the loud noise
That's something! It was clearlygetting too much gas without the injector, but interesting that it didn't stop firing on the control-stat before the noise, presumably caused by overheating, started.
My concern is more if there could be any on-going safety issues caused by the months of "misuse" until the injector was put back in, in terms of gases released or quality of the water.
I'm just a DIYer, but my guess is if nothing obvious shows up in the coming weeks, it's OK

Assuming it was installed by a Ideal registered installer you have a 12 year manufacturers warranty .
Any problems your covered
not for a fekup he isnt unless it was ideal themselves

Assuming it was installed by a Ideal registered installer you have a 12 year manufacturers warranty .
Any problems your covered
Thanks. I'm less worried about repairs...the boiler seems to be working fine anyway now that the injector is back in.

I've been more concerned about safety effects/contamination for householders, from having had the injector out for many months

Thanks. I'm less worried about repairs...the boiler seems to be working fine anyway now that the injector is back in.

I've been more concerned about safety effects/contamination for householders, from having had the injector out for many months
in what way do you think water could be contaminated as you have previously mentioned
?

in what way do you think water could be contaminated as you have previously mentioned
?

Some sort of rupture between the combustion circuit, and the hot water/heating circuit? It was making loud moaning noises until the injector was put back in, that's why i thought something might be breaking

Some sort of rupture between the combustion circuit, and the hot water/heating circuit? It was making loud moaning noises until the injector was put back in, that's why i thought something might be breaking
You are overthinking
Search how a combi works, you will realise that is not possible.

Injector is there to provide correct amount of gas for your boiler model
Missing injector means your burner was getting too much gas. I would want the boiler checked by an independent person as an assurance in case the heat exchanger is damaged. Moaning noise was indicative of bad combustion.
Find it hard how a person can carry out a task yet fail to carry out combustion analysis as a concluding test.
Something a novice would don

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back