Injuring ourselves daily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, not a thread about self-abuse!

As someone who spends a large part of his working day at a PC, I was just sitting blinking wondering if my eyes are OK. I have regular eye tests and do pretty much all I can to save my eyesight (looking away from the screen, taking breaks etc) but I still get headaches.

Then I got to thinking, most professions involve some amount of "acceptable" damage to oneself.

1) office workers: RSI from keyboard and mouse, eyestrain and headaches from monitor
2) builders: white knuckle, breathing dust, aching back and joints
3) plumbers and electricians: similar to builders
4) mechanic: flashburn and hearing damage (garages are noisy places!)
5) postman: worn knee joints and arthritis in the fingers (from all the letterbox flaps)

And all jobs have stress of varying form and degree. Whether it is a late delivery or an incompetent colleague, we all get headaches.

So, why do we do it?! I prefer having money to having no money, and I would get bored as heck if I was on the dole. But why do we accept a level of accumulated injury? :confused:

Can't we figure out a way of doing our jobs, without the risk of lasting injury, and without HSE getting involved and telling us we can't drink hot coffee in case a passing child tries to wash their face with it (I dunno, sounds like an HSE reg)

Sponsored Links
............ But why do we accept a level of accumulated injury?..............

'cos some git told us that hard work never hurt anybody. But then we shop in supermarkets 'cos someone (like Mr. Tesco) told us it was cheaper, and every little helps. Just forgot to tell us it helps Tesco's profits, not the customer's bank balance.

there isnt really any job that doesnt give injuries... wther instant or over a long time. most common for me is cuts/scratches to hands/wrists. i once got a very shallow scratch about 3 inch long on my arm, and it left a scar for 2 years (it wasnt that bad!)

Glad to hear it went after a few years: I've got a shallow scrape on my forearm from a packaging staple on a big heavy box, didn't even bleed but has scarred! :LOL:

Of course, all jobs have various levels of risk and injury, take Julie, she mentioned the other day she accidentally stuck herself with a hypodermic whilst transferring a blood sample. With the wrong patient that could be terminal.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
take Julie, she mentioned the other day she accidentally stuck herself with a hypodermic whilst transferring a blood sample. With the wrong patient that could be terminal.

What I didn't mention was that the patient had HIV!

Sponsored Links
Back