InkJet Printer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an Epson 830 injet printer, couple of years old now, we don't use it a lot,maybe once a month, the print quality is poor, i have tried the head cleaning cycle and that clears it for a while, but then same thing,can anything else be done, the same happened to my Cannon printer and we binned that.I do use cheap cartridges, no Epson, but I am sure it did the same with Epson Cartridges.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

Sponsored Links
i've got the epson C62 ..and i've got the same problem. after about 7 head cleans it start to work ok.But if you don't use it for about a week.i'me back to the same problem..anyway i'me thinking of changing mine,But i want one without having to keep resetting the chip....if anybody out there knows of a good little basic printer...
Much obliged.
Vokera.

vokera80e said:
....if anybody out there knows of a good little basic printer....

I use an OKI B4100, small, cheap laser printer. Fast, sharp printing, much cheaper to run than an inkjet. Doesn't smudge, or run when it gets wet. Obviously won't do colour. Also does photocopying from my scanner.

When the cartridge runs out, you only change that, the drum only needs changing ....see below......., and I found it better value to buy a new printer (I previously had the 6e model, which has been superseded by the 4100) you'll see below that a new printer is cheaper than a replacement drum !! !!

edited to say, I got the drum life wrong, it s/be
Toner Low Capacity: 2,500 pages @ 5% coverage
Image Drum Up to 25,000 pages (continuous print)

http://www.shopoki.co.uk/acatalog/B4000_range.html

but it came with a toner and drum included, and I got mine from Novatech at only £68 plus VAT last October, I understand price went up soon after.

We have run a Samsung ML1210 mono colour laser ... near 4 years now, same cartridge, well used ( begin to wish I hadn't bought a spare cartridge soon after the printer ) Cheap as chips.. never given a problem just switch on and use - no toolbox required !
The latest low cost Samsung ML-1610 A4 Mono Laser Printer example.

Also have a HP Deskjet 890C Pro series ... Ok when the cartridges are fresh .. but what a cost !!

For everday printing and may I say, black and white pictures ;) Laser every time !
:cool:

Sponsored Links
I have a epson R300 photo. absolutely stunning photo printing on glossy paper. I always use compatibles, it would cost 60 quid to fill with ink otherwise. I got 3 sets of ink for 45 quid ;) :LOL: up yours epson :evil: not had any compatibility issues either. :cool:

crafty1289 said:
I have a epson R300 photo. absolutely stunning photo printing on glossy paper. I always use compatibles, it would cost 60 quid to fill with ink otherwise. I got 3 sets of ink for 45 quid ;) :LOL: up yours epson :evil: not had any compatibility issues either. :cool:

I get mine for just under £10 a set, free delivery too, and the chip resetter is only a few quid too. Prink

Salem.

Thanks for the feedback. How often do you use your Epson? I only use mib=ne about once a month, so I think that is why I have problems.

I have seen posts on other forums about wiping cartridge with damp cloth to clean heads, so might give that a go.

Steve

I'm not the only happy bunny

;) :LOL:

I only use mine every week or so. Not had any issues with ink drying up or anything. Well, actually i tell a lie. I did have one yellow that dried up, but at £2.50 a throw, what do you want? :cool:

well after looking around,i've decided to go for the C64 with separate carts.Read some good reviews about it and the compats are only £1-30 each...i'l get it from argos,Because if i'me not happy with it within the first 16 days you get your money back...i once bought a lexmark from pc world and after only one week it was playing up,So i took it back and it was like the spanish inquest...(No Sir We Can't Take it Back Because Youv'e Used it)..... :rolleyes: and besides you will have to send it to lexmark yourself. :rolleyes: i thought i was on another planet....to cut a long story short i got my money back...and i won't shop at pc world anymore. ;)

crafty1289 said:
I only use mine every week or so. Not had any issues with ink drying up or anything. Well, actually i tell a lie. I did have one yellow that dried up, but at £2.50 a throw, what do you want? :cool:

The problem is that its not just the £2.50 cartridge, but the heat thats part of the printer as well, that said... I had hear a rumour that epson changed the design of their heads for the R range to make that kind of thing less likely

I've seen tons of old stylus 600 machines end up in the bin do to this kind of issue, and my current C70 plus has some blocked jets that I can't clear, not of real consequence to me though, when it goes over stuff several times like on photos, you can't tell, and most of my everyday printing is done on on my Samsung 1210 laser

I have an 830u and until recently have always used epson inks and never had any problems with them blocking the heads when used infrequently. Two weeks ago purchased some 'compatible ink' from a well known high street store and now all of the heads are blocked and wont clear. :evil:

Try soaking holed. delivery area of 'head' in 'rubbing alcohol' ;)
LINK

If 'self' refilled cartridge, try pressurising the inside of cartridge using breath through the filler hole, conduct over lots of old newspaper of course !
Maplins do a litre for £9.99 probably cheaper elsewhere .. (lots of uses).

;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
This happens when there is either a poorly jet system.

OR

Cheap, poor quality inks

A poorly designed cartridge system is when the jets are bound each cartridge. A new system uses sponge suction and a single jet module which reduces failure greatly.

Cheaps inks are those found at refill places. Generally, these inks are poorly filtered, and have improper viscousity. Also, these refil places, or self refil kits are generally not sterile. When cheap ink, with improper density, and impurities such as dust is pushed through pinhole jets, clogs are common and damage to the jet module is almost indefinite.

To solve this problem, you will have to either keep cleaning the head manually...or you will have completely replace the injet head and start buying brand inks.

I have a Canon IP5200 as my photo printer and ive never had a clog. Its pretty economical. Every ink is separate. You have C, M, Y, K (Being the photo inks) and BK(being the document black which is not as dark as photo K but there it is double the quantity).

Each of the 5 cartridges is between $10-15.

I also recommend in investing in a laser printer.
Xerox are top of the line if you abuse your printers.
The best price/vs/quality is samsung.
Caution, you have to use proper toner, proper paper in the samsung or you will damage the drums causing streaks.

I have the following printers....
Panasonic KX-P1624 24pin Dot matrix (great for on-print documents, forms, and carbon copy-> served by fileserver)
IBM 4201 Proprinter (great for watermarks -> served by fileserver)
HP Deskjet 660cse (decomissioned and stored in garage)
HP Laserjet III (decomissioned and stored in garage)
Canon IP5200R (great network photo printer)
Samsung CLP-510N (great color laser network printer, very cost efficient)

hi i have a epson 830 i have a blocked black jet never had probs until i used compatibles.i was told that the epson head clean doesnt work unless u do 2 or 3 without doing a nozzle check so you leave the ink in the heads and u must leave printer switched on over night to keep the pressure in heads to dissolve the dried ink. if you turn printer off the ink just soaks back in sponge cartridge. i noticed that the web site that i buy cheap ink cartridges from sell solvent cartriges which fill heads with solvent to clean them? i wonder why perhaps its because they have had alot of people with blocked print heads. im going to ask for some free ones lol as my black ink wont come out of print head tell you all how i get on bye

Sponsored Links
Back