Inline Extractor Fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Looking at installing an inline extractor for the bathroom in the loft above as got plenty of access up there. Couple of questions:

1. There's an old aluminium flu up there from an old boiler, it goes directly up and out the top of the roof. Would I be OK connecting the extractor to that?

2. I'd like to use the fan with a humidistat, but would it be possible to have a switch or pullcord to manually turn the fan on if required?

3. When taking a feed from the lighting circuit in the loft, should I run that to a switched fcu then into the fan?

Thanks a lot,
Michael

IMG_20200403_145837_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. There's an old aluminium flu up there from an old boiler, it goes directly up and out the top of the roof. Would I be OK connecting the extractor to that?
I suppose I should say if suitable which isn't much help but it is just a hole after all.
Is it a flexible gas flue?

2. I'd like to use the fan with a humidistat,
Humidistats aren't particularly effective in Britain.

but would it be possible to have a switch or pullcord to manually turn the fan on if required?
Of course.

3. When taking a feed from the lighting circuit in the loft, should I run that to a switched fcu then into the fan?
You don't really need an FCU.
The wiring will presumably have to go via the switch and humidistat in one way or another.

I suppose I should say if suitable which isn't much help but it is just a hole after all.
Is it a flexible gas flue?

Sorry, I added a picture after posting. I think it's a flexible one yes.

Humidistats aren't particularly effective in Britain.

Our bathroom never seems to be humid other than after a shower so I hoped we'd be able to adjust a humidistat to suit the room. Do they tend to come on a lot when not required?

Of course.

You don't really need an FCU.
The wiring will presumably have to go via the switch and humidistat in one way or another.

Was mainly thinking to isolate the fan for maintenance with this.

Yes, pipe looks fine. You might need a condensate trap to stop any running back into fan and/or some insulation around the pipe.

Humid isn't only visible vapour. It's up to you.

FCU also up to you.
If you want the fan to come on with the light then you will need a three-pole isolator.

Sponsored Links
Yes, pipe looks fine. You might need a condensate trap to stop any running back into fan and/or some insulation around the pipe.

Humid isn't only visible vapour. It's up to you.

FCU also up to you.
If you want the fan to come on with the light then you will need a three-pole isolator.

Think we will give it a go with a pullcord only and see how we get on. Don't want it to come on with the light as we never need the light on in the bathroom in daylight hours.

Might be able to tie the condensate trap into the boiler condensate too!

FCUs are not used* or required on lighting circuits.

* They are sometimes used but only by people who don't know better.

Yawn

FCUs are permitted to be used on lighting circuits. BS7671 (the WIRING REGULATIONS) specifically state that they can be.

If they are required or not is a matter for a competent installer to consider.

FCUs are not used* or required on lighting circuits.

* They are sometimes used but only by people who don't know better.
What was the point of this post?

You wrote something and included a note to say it wasn't true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back