Inline switch lamp won't light bulb but has current

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have wired a light bulb to a inline switch and then to the plug. I have tested it and there is a current right up to the bulb connector but the bulb won't light?

Does anyone have any advice

Sponsored Links
Im using a screwdriver with a little light in it. Im not sure what they are called but it lights up when theres electricity running.

Not an ideal way, but that would be picking up VOLTAGE rather than current.

Can you do a drawing of how youve wired it

Sponsored Links
Check the neutral connections and that the copper of the wires is actually connecting with the connections and not the insulation of the wire.

regards,

DS

and the bulb works…………

the plug and flex look extremely old. What country are you in?

Hi, sorry but if that's a brass lampholder it must be earthed.

The problem will be the mis alignment of the ceramic inset it should line up with the bulb base.

Please do not use the lamp until you have earthed the holder,
if there is no earth terminal bin it and fit a plastic one.

Regards,

DS

Im in the UK.

They are supposed to look old as they are decorative.

The top is metal. I do have another with an earth I can use but I wont be able to get that to work either.

How do you mean mis alignment of the ceramic inset? I have taken it out and turned it round. I even replaced it and nothing.

Hi, i appreciate the 'decorative' but not the deadly!

If you want to use two core cloth covered flex you would need to use a plastic lamp holder to be safe.

The brass holder inset ceramic must lock into the brass base there are two insets at each side they must line up.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS WITHOUT AN EARTH.

Regards,

DS

Hi there

They do lock into the base I dont think thats the problem.

There appears to be a good connection between the bulb and the prongs so Im not sure why its not working.

Once I understand how it works Im going to replace it with a earthed version

Maybe an illusion in the pic but is one of the lampholder brass pins pushed down thus not connecting with lamp
You can get plastic holders with threaded holes rather than using 3 core flex

You have checked the fuse in the plug, them screwdrivers sometimes pick up neutral voltage and could mislead you

If you have a multimeter, unplug the fitting and check continuity from plug through to the lampholder

Hi there

I checked the fuse and its fine.

I think tomorrow I will buy a plastic lampholder and then go from there.

Thanks

Good. You will find it easier to find and buy a threaded push-bar lamp holder(switched) than an unswitched.

Regards,

DS

A little tip, if you dont want the SWITCH on the lampholder, buy both a threaded pushbar switch holder AND a basic lamphoder, both made by the SAME manufacturer.
Then simply swop the BASE bits over.
Your unlikely to find an UNSWITCHED threaded lampholder and this made up one will look less bulky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back