Inset gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. I wounded if you would be able to help. We have moved into a new house and we have a gas fire fitted. The old owners have not left us we any details of it and are unable to use it at the moment. I believe it is a inset gas fire but I can't find and other details of it. Would you identify it but the couple photo I have attached. Hope you can help. Regards

Also I have contacted someone else regarding the same issue and sent them the same photos they are saying the fire is unsafe to use. When I ask why they didn't say

Sponsored Links
From those pictures I would not be using that fire!!!

Get it checked first hand by a registered engineer with the appropriate accreditation.

Gas Fires are crap anyway - consider having it removed.

Apart from several other points, the singe marks on the frame above the fire proves the fire exhaust is spilling into the room.

Good evening. I wounded if you would be able to help. We have moved into a new house and we have a gas fire fitted. The old owners have not left us we any details of it and are unable to use it at the moment. I believe it is a inset gas fire but I can't find and other details of it. Would you identify it but the couple photo I have attached. Hope you can help. Regards

Also I have contacted someone else regarding the same issue and sent them the same photos they are saying the fire is unsafe to use. When I ask why they didn't say
It is in a very poor condition! It looks like a Flavel or a Kinder, but I don't recognise what looks like a glass section at the bottom of the coal set. It might even be from a comoany called LFE Fires, who went bust years ago. If it is a Kinder / Flavel, it is probably obsolete.

The battery pack is Lithium, and cost about £45 each - and struggle to last a year! Have you got the remote?, it is very awkward to use without it. Contrary to Dan's assertion, not all fires are carp, but I fear that your best course of action would be to replace it. I would certainly not use it in the current condition.

Modern remote control fires tend to use standard AA or 9v batteries, but unless you are not mobile, a side control is generally a better bet. Glass fronted model now boat a n efficiency of 80% / 92%, so much better than the worst offenders

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use that! Time to get it replaced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer with a qualification in gas fires

Thanks firemanT

No we haven't got the remote. That is the main problem as if we wanted to get it tested to see if it safe. We probably can't without been to operate it.

I know it doesn't look in the best condition but would rather get it tested to see if it is usable before I go out and spend on a new one as it's not currently at the top of the list to change. As we have just moved into the property that needs bit of work in other areas.

With respect Welchy, if it is a Kinder, I probably would find a remote for a nominal fee, but I wouldn't do anything to encourage you to use it! The staining above the fire is a worry, so you absolutely need a pro in to sort it.

A cheap fire can be bought for not much more than a ton (but not of me), plus installation charge and, I would guess, a chimney sweep. ;)

You could get a local RGI to service/maintain the fire, and he should be able to do it without the remote. He would then be able to tell you if there is any point in pursuing it - but you will stand the cost of labour to assess it.

If i was approached with the job, i would be having you agree in writing the terms and conditions, the main one being that time is chargeable, regardless of ultimate success or otherwise

I know it doesn't look in the best condition but would rather get it tested to see if it is usable before I go out and spend on a new one as it's not currently at the top of the list to change. As we have just moved into the property that needs bit of work in other areas.

Dude - You have been told by several registered engineers that that fire is fooked. It might be repairable, but the cost of anew one will be cheaper - probably.

Why move into somewhere and then kill yourself? It might not be on top of your list, but FFS don't use that fire.

As has been said Welchy, the telltale signs of singing on the fireplace above and the blackening of the coals shows that it is not working correctly and is potentially very dangerous.
As Dan and Fireman state, it's a fair bet (99% sure) that it WILL be condemned by any competent Gas Safe engineer and will need to be removed/replaced or at least it won't be financially economical to fix.

You don't say if you have another heat source? CH etc? Please take the advice though and don't use that fire, we're just looking out for the safety of you and yours!

True though innit.

Took mine out and the living room is far more comfortable now there isn't a firking great draft going up the chimney which is put to much better use running the AV and network cables to the loft.

Mind you, the UFH might have helped ;).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back