inside panel of the double glazed bathroom window cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All,

I got a message from my agent that the tenant called to report that during the recent cold spell the inside panel of the double glazed bathroom window unit had cracked. They quoted £50 for replacing it.

But my friend said it should be outside panel if it cracked due to temperature differences.

£50 is not much but I am bit annoyed by repairing something every month for this tenant. They had 2 very naughty kid (8, 10 years). I already dealt with door change, bathroom leaking, kitchen cealling, door loack twice, garden fence etc in 8 months time. My previous tentant stayed for 4 years and after first year there was no repair at all. The house build in 1980 and of good quality. We actually took it for ourselves but then due to job loss I had to move 120 miles away. Due to distance I left everything to agent.

Should I challenge it based on the point that the crack should not be inside panel? Is my friend right about it?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Good Morning All,

I got a message from my agent that the tenant called to report that during the recent cold spell the inside panel of the double glazed bathroom window unit had cracked. They quoted £50 for replacing it.

But my friend said it should be outside panel if it cracked due to temperature differences.

£50 is not much but I am bit annoyed by repairing something every month for this tenant. They had 2 very naughty kid (8, 10 years). I already dealt with door change, bathroom leaking, kitchen cealling, door loack twice, garden fence etc in 8 months time. My previous tentant stayed for 4 years and after first year there was no repair at all. The house build in 1980 and of good quality. We actually took it for ourselves but then due to job loss I had to move 120 miles away. Due to distance I left everything to agent.

Should I challenge it based on the point that the crack should not be inside panel? Is my friend right about it?

Thanks for your time.

Theres a thread on this very subject below, take a look at this link also, it give you an insight as whats going on

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/explode.htm

Sponsored Links
Thx, that's right I need to take it to my insurar but £50 repair cost is not worth taking to them as there will be increase in premium for the next year plus time.

I mainly interested to understand whether there are genuine issues or, my tenant is not caring enough.

Anybody knows whether the temperature condition can create windows internal panel crack.

Regards

Anybody knows whether the temperature condition can create windows internal panel crack.
Yes, there have been loads of posts on here with posters who's units have cracked, inner or outer panes, did you not bother to look at the link crank posted either?

Furthermore unless you actually accuse your tenant of wilfully damaging the window and risk all that that potentially entails you will just have to suck it up!

thx Crank39 for the link, I actually missed it before. It helped me in understanding the phenomenon. I will keep it for future reference as well. I already okayed the agent to do the work. Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back