Inside Pendant & Outside Light Wiring: Is This My Only Option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have a situation in my house that I could use some advice on. In the hallway, there is a disused light fitting (ceiling rose present but no bulb attachment when moved in) that would have been connected to the switch pictured near the door:

IMG_9768.JPG

There's also an outside light connected to this same switch, the position of which is just above the current 2-gang switch. At present, the switch only activates the outside light and not the fitting in the hallway (other switch in the 2-gang turns on the landing light)

When I removed the ceiling rose cover to take a closer look, I found out that there is a circuit loop between the switch wire and the neutral (by using a scrap piece of red wiring). It seems this loop acts to provide the neutral for the outside light, thereby ensuring the switch only operates that light and bypasses the hallway light fitting.

Given this setup, am I right in thinking that my best option is to run a dedicated neutral from the disused fitting (unfortunately located upstairs under a huge wardrobe), chase it down the wall, and then upgrade to a 3-gang switch from the current 2-gang, allowing separate controls for the hallway and the outside lights?

Any alternative solutions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Presumably that switch used to operate the light above; if so, is there still a switch cable from ceiling rose to switch which you could reconfigure as a Neutral connection.

Perhaps a picture off ALL the wires in the switch (and rose?) would help.

Having reread your post, I am now thinking that that is what has already been done.

If so, what is it you want to achieve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back