Inspection Chamber Question

Sponsored Links
So i had a look under the "plates" that had been put down next to the inspection chamber and this is what i found...

Attachments

• 20210806_195222.jpg
    20210806_195222.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210806_195248.jpg
    20210806_195248.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So i had a look under the "plates" that had been put down next to the inspection chamber and this is what i found...
Post #10, @Hugh Jaleak called it (y) although, I thought manholes had to have an air tight cover fitted.

So im looking to lay porcelain tiles....up until last week, this was covered by block paving. What is best way to proceed?

Sponsored Links
Look for an appropriate size cover slab for the concrete sectional manholes, most good Builders Merchants should be able to supply. (Measure up and see what size you need.) Remove what is there now, and replace with slab, hopefully, this will give you enough leeway to set an Inset Cover, to allow your tiles to be laid up to, and inside the cover to minimise visual impact.

Secondly, looks like water and waste is discharging from the top pipe, this shouldn't happen, it is likely there is what is known as a 'Backdrop', a pipe dropping vertically outside the chamber, to discharge out the bottom inlet into the channel. Top pipe is the level of the incoming sewer and should be for rodding access only. Backdrop, (vertical section) is blocked.

Post #10, @Hugh Jaleak called it (y) although, I thought manholes had to have an air tight cover fitted.
Only when the chamber is internal. Although it has been known for people to smear manhole frames with a liberal coating of grease or similar, to provide a seal if they are troubled by odours outside the property.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back