Inspection cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at getting an orangery built on the back of the house and want to make sure I'm educated regards the drains to make sure the builders do the correct thing (sure they would be like to be in the know).

We have an inspection cover right in the middle of the proposed building. It is about 1m deep and takes a feed from the soil pipe and one from the kitchen sink and then runs to the second inspection point in the second picture which I believe is where the neighbours drain joins the run and then out to the front of the property.

Can anyone please explain:

1. Is the first inspection point a 'private one'?
  2. Is the second inspection point a 'public one'?
  3. What is the best solution for the first inspection cover which will be in the building?
  4. The new extension will be within 2 meters of the second inspection cover, does this cause an issue?
  5. I have had to rod the first inspection point in the past as it became blocked.
    IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
Thanks for any help!

The picture of inside the inspection chamber is the first chamber i.e. the one I think is 'Private'.

First

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes it seems to be as you suspect in terms of private and public manholes. You could leave it and fit a sealed cover or move it outside the area of the extension.

Any foundations within 3m of a public drain should require an application for a build-over agreement with your water company.

Thanks Woody.

Easiest would be to move the junction and inspection chamber to the side of the orangery I think but this would mean the waste route would have kind of double back on itself as per my diagram. Is that an issue?
IMG_2096.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes inefficient, but as long as the principles of adequate slope, suitable bends and connections etc then it is OK. The kitchen branch could potentially be connected to the soil branch with a Y connector, then then just one pipe taken to the manhole, but not it it involves too many other bends in the pipe runs

Foundations need to be lower than any pipes and must properly bridge the pipes, not have them built in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back