Inspection pit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like one in my garage :) but i'm concerned as my garage is on the groundfloor of my house (it's a townhouse).

How thick is the concrete likely to be in the garage?
will making a hole in it be difficult?
will making a hole in it damage the house?

apart from those, any other advice would be gratefuly received.

Sponsored Links
i hope you are prepared to dig a pretty big hole?

in order to build a walled inspection pit, say 5 feet deep by 2.5 feet wide, you would need to start the trench about 6 feet wide at the top. :eek:

this will involve shifting huge volumes of material from the subfloor.

i would have thought a groundfloor location would be the best place to dig a pit. :confused:

damage to the house foundations is a possibility.

concrete oversite, in domestic situations is usually 100mm thick.

where is your house? On London clay and similar, you may be on a concrete raft (so not just oversite)

May also be worth considering the water table level in your area!

If you dig it by hand (good luck1) You might want to consider the risk of collapse if you are working down a 5 foot deep trench - if you have to shore it up then you will have to start with a much wider trench

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments chaps :D concidering what youve said I think I will find some big garage ramps instead ;)

You may already be starting to get the picture that an inspection pit is not just a hole in the ground; many issues to be considered if you don’t want your house to fall down, be buried alive or gassed to death by your own car! I’m not certain but I’ve also got a feeling that constructing a pit may be subject to BC even if the garage isn’t!

If you have enough height, get yourself a used 2 post lift, it probably won’t cost much more than a properly constructed pit & it’s certainly more pleasant & convenient to use.

Funny you should say that cos I have and I was looking these up by coincidence :)
Do you know if the 4 post is realy worth having over the 2?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-POST-230v-C...yZ108783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bradbury-MK2-...QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE]

The 2 post is smaller, usually single phase supply, ideal if you have limited space & only need it for cars; for vans/trucks etc. the 4 post will generally have higher lifting capacity, usually 3 phase supply & will be a much bigger beast but usually have more facilities - central jacking tray similar to that used in MOT bays (although I can’t see it on the pic posted). A friend of mine used to have a workshop with 2 x 2 post lifts & I often used to either help out or use one for my own servicing etc. excellent & personally, I would go for the 2 post in a small workshop or home garage.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
they seem inexpensive

surely they need some kind of professional inspection to be sure they won't collapse on top of you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back