Install a fireplace on stud walling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a new fireplace on an external stud wall. I have broken out a small area of plasterboard to expose the class 2 flue hidden within (kindly left for us by the builder along with a gas supply).
do i need to cut out the skirting and laminate floor to accomadate the hearth?
do i need to cut out an area of plasterboard to accomadate the surround?
what do i need to affix the surround to?
what else do i need to consider?

thank you in advance

c_t

diy newbie.

Sponsored Links
do i need to cut out the skirting and laminate floor to accomadate the hearth? - Yes
do i need to cut out an area of plasterboard to accomadate the surround?
what do i need to affix the surround to? - This would really depnd on if there is anything in the stud wall to fix to. As you say it is an old house, the stud wall will probably be timber stud (instead of a new metal stud). If by luck there is already a stud at all points that you want to fix the surround then you could of course fix to these, this is highly unlikely though. The solution is to cut away the plasterboard and fix a timber batten back to the masonary wall at all points that you want to fix the surround. The timber needs to be as close as possible to the depth between the masonary wall and the front face of the plasterboard.

many thanks for your quick reply.

the house is less than 12 months old.

The builder wanted loads of money to put the fire & fireplace in, so we asked him to install the gas supply and flue then plasterboard over it until we could afford a fire/fireplace.

a quick visit to ebay and £600 later, timber surround, granite hearth, cast iron insert and gas fire is winging its way to us. father in law is corgi registered, so i just need to fit the fireplace.

anyway, i digress.

will the surround need to be reccessed slightly into the wall? so that i can plaster/filler around it?

Sorry - didnt realise it was a new house. The plasterboard lining will almost certainly be Dot and Dab - board fixed on plaster dabs. Much the same idea though, cut away the board and fix timber as before. The only thing to think of is that the cut edge of the plasterboard will now be unsupported as it can be upto 400mm from the last plaster dab. Again a piece of timber or packers inserted behind the board will support the loose edge.
I would recess the surround slightly (5mm) to allow you to finish neat upto it.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
If I was you.... I would get your CORGI Registered Father in Law to supervise the procedings. He will know all of the current regulations regarding Gas Fires. If he has the Gas Fire element !!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back