Install a vapor barrier on a stud wall (bathroom)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im building a stud wall in my bathroom. Its going to be one of the walls which makes up my wet room so will be tanked and waterproofed before been tiled.

I was going to plaster the wall but ive got to ride over some prity ruff brickwork where a chimney once was which also drops back 4" and the current plaster is in poor condition so it seems easyer and better to build the stud wall.

Im going to use 2x3 k16 treaded timber for the stud work and install them flat against the wall so it only takes 2" out of the room and then board it with cement fiber "tile backer board".

Do I need to install any kind of vapor barrier as ive seen it pop up now and again.

The wall its going onto is the party wall upstairs and no insulation will be added between the studs. Just the timber and tile backer board.

Sponsored Links
If you are installing tile backing board, are you using tiles?

Those will act as a VCL.

Otherwise apply the rule of thumb that you don't want water vapour getting into cold unventilated spaces.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the help. Yep it will be tiled and tbf there will be ventilation behind it anyway (wont be sealed against the wall as the wall drops back)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back