Install kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ll be installing my first kitchen. It’s my own kitchen so I’ll be taking my time to get it right.

I’m told that I can get a length of bar to spread the weight of the wall hung units.

Can someone advise what this bar is called and where I can purchase it from? If there are multiple types some advise on the different properties would be appreciated also.

Any particular tools I should have for the job? I have a general set of tools but if there’s anything in particular that will help make a good job then I’d appreciate knowing.

EDIT: The kitchen is from DIY Kitchens if that makes any difference.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is called a cupboard hanging rail
https://www.google.com/search?q=kitchen+cupboard+hanging+rail
I think they are all the same.
There are two types - steel and aluminium. The steel ones will carry more weight but is a bit harder to cut (obviously). Buy the longest ones you can (2 or 2.5 metre lengths) as you want to carry a single row of cabinets on one piece of rail if at all possible - the 1m lengths some people sell on eBay are a waste of money IMHO

Any particular tools I should have for the job? I have a general set of tools but if there’s anything in particular that will help make a good job then I’d appreciate knowing.

A battery drill with screw driver bit.
A long spirit level.
And a hacksaw to cut the rail, and a jigsaw or coping saw to notch out the backs of the inner cabinets to allow the rail to pass through

Additionally I'd add 300 to 600mm spirit level if you don't have one (you need to check cabinet levels front to back and end to end), a quick release cramp or two will make it easier to connect adjoining cabinets together (you need to screw them to each other once you get them levelled up in order to keep them in alignment), and finally a hand screwdriver, PZD#2 (if you don't already have one), because cordless screwdrivers are too fast and inaccurate for final fine adjusting of both cabinet claw hangers and concealed hinges

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys.

Do I need a laser level as I don’t own one currently.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it won't do any harm. You will still need a long and a short spirit level.

but if you have the sense to use hanging rail running along the wall, you can easily get it level and it will be simple to adjust your cabinets level.

don't use individual little bits of bracket as often supplied with the hangersl

Hello again,

So I've ordered the bar.

Will the cabinets have compatible fittings on the back to hang them from the bar or do I need to buy those separately? The kitchen has not arrived yet so I'm buying stuff in advance but have never done this before so not sure what fixings it will come with in respect of securing the carcasses to the wall.

Cheers

Hi, the fittings that came with the kitchen units fitted perfectly. I'm only DIY but have fitted several kitchens for family, mostly B&Q but also others (sorry, can't remember the brands).

To some people this may be stating the obvious, but bear in mind that to use these long rails you'll need to notch out the backs of the inner cabinet "gable ends" of all the cabinets - so for a RH end you'd need to do this:

Kitchen Upper Cabinet Unnotched.jpg
-> TO ->
Kitchen Upper Cabinet Notched.jpg

making a full run of 3 look like this:

Kitchen Upper Cabinet Notched 3 Group.jpg

Don't forget: don't notch out the outer end panels of the cabinets at the ends of runs (as above) and remember to take 36mm off the total run of the cabinets for the length to cut the rail (so 3 x 500mm cabinets would require a rail of 1500 - 36mm = 1466mm, or ideally a couple of millimetres shorter, no more, to give yourself a bit of "shimmy room"). These two things are easily overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back