Second Hand Kitchen (Advice Needed on Fitting Issues)...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am becoming a landlord (out of necessity, due to negative equity - needed to move).

To get the old place up to a rental standard, I need to replace the tired and well worn kitchen with something more modern.

I don't want to waste the entire renovation budget on the kitchen alone (property needs a complete new heating system & substantial overhaul), so I have been on the lookout for a second hand kitchen.

A friend has found one for me locally which I feel would be good (Pictures attached).

Due to differences in the kitchen shape, it would need to be installed differently in my property.

Here are major changes I can foresee at this moment.

• Kitchen sink and overhead unit (currently next to sink) would have to be positioned at the other side of the kitchen.
  • Tall larder unit and oven would also have to swap sides.
  • The unit to the left of the oven would have to be removed due to my kitchen being a little smaller.

Does anyone have experience in this. Would this present any challenges that I may not have thought of? I don't want to jump in with both feet, then feel like I wished I hadn't. This kitchen is probably discontinued, so it would be difficult to find parts that match to make it fit.

I would get a professional in to do the install.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• kitchen.JPG
    kitchen.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 401
  • design.JPG
    design.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 426
Sponsored Links
i assume you will have to remove the "new kitchen " as part off the deal??
how much is it and how is it described ??
you need to allow for 10-30% wastage can you get fresh units or doors to match

To be honest I've fitted several secondhand kitchens and really the units are just boxes whether they are new or old . There may be superfluous holes for pipes which are easily covered up with a bit of melamine board . Sometimes the shelves in the unit under the sink has been chopped about too and may need replacing. Again nothing that's going to cost the earth. The biggest problem can be the work tops as they tend to be less flexible unless sinks and hobs are in the same position in the new fitting. Answer there is either to get new work tops or put up with joints in seemingly random places.
Personally I think you are doing the right thing. There are a lot of perfectly decent kitchens that end up in a skip because people feel they must have a new one and believe it will increase the value of their homes.

To be honest I've fitted several secondhand kitchens and really the units are just boxes whether they are new or old . There may be superfluous holes for pipes which are easily covered up with a bit of melamine board . Sometimes the shelves in the unit under the sink has been chopped about too and may need replacing. Again nothing that's going to cost the earth. The biggest problem can be the work tops as they tend to be less flexible unless sinks and hobs are in the same position in the new fitting. Answer there is either to get new work tops or put up with joints in seemingly random places.
Personally I think you are doing the right thing. There are a lot of perfectly decent kitchens that end up in a skip because people feel they must have a new one and believe it will increase the value of their homes.

Hi - thanks for your feedback. Actually, the worktops are the only thing not included, so that wouldn't be an issue. If you are in the trade, I would appreciate a guideline price for the installation of this kitchen (tech drawing and picture attached to my original post), the old kitchen will have been removed and walls skimmed for a blank canvass on which to install.

Sponsored Links
i assume you will have to remove the "new kitchen " as part off the deal??
how much is it and how is it described ??
you need to allow for 10-30% wastage can you get fresh units or doors to match

Actually, no. The 'new' kitchen is already dismantled. The person selling it is a kitchen fitter who agreed to sell the old one once he fitted a new one....I just have to pick it up...
I don't think I can get replacement doors, but could live with a smaller kitchen installation if this is still possible. There are pictures of the kitchen in the original post.

If you are in the trade, I would appreciate a guideline price for the installation of this kitchen (tech drawing and picture attached to my original post), the old kitchen will have been removed and walls skimmed for a blank canvass on which to install.

I'm a joiner rather than a kitchen fitter so probably not as quick as someone who does it all the time which is something to take into account and without seeing the actual job it's always going to be a rough idea of cost but personally I'd say three days work as an estimate. I tend to work on £120 per day so that makes it £360 but I tend to say to customers it could be longer , an extra day perhaps , as there may be unforeseen problems.
For instance on one kitchen I did the units left an odd sized gap so I ended up fabricating a sort of shelf come wine rack type of thing from a spare unit. Easy enough to do but it does take time.

The units are the easy bit, getting all the services in the right place is the key, are you up to plumbing and electrics?

I'd love a kitchen as nice as the one pictured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back