Install new Siemens oven & induction hob - fuse ratings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, please help me...

I want to take out an old Whirlpool single oven and gas hob and replace with a new Siemens oven and induction hob.

oven: HB75AB550B/HB75GB550B

hob: EH651TA16E

The oven is 3650W and hob is 4600W so I calculate that as requiring 15-16A and 19-20A respectively - is this correct? (apparently the hob can be set with some sort of connection current management settings to limit it to 20, 16, 13 or 10 amps). Anyway this adds up to a maximum of 34-36A unless the hob is limited.

I'm not sure what my existing Whirlpool oven power output is is but presumably less and currently have gas not induction hob. There is a 13A fused spur switch on the wall above my worktop for each of these and they are both connected to the cooker ring main thing, which at the consumer unit has a 32A fuse (MCB?? sorry I don't know the technical names for these things!) Also I believe the double socket next to the hob (used for a kettle & toaster) is also fed off this circuit and not the main sockets circuit.

So... do I need to change the 32A to whatever the next level up is on the consumer unit to allow for the new oven & induction hob? Presumably if I just went for replacement gas hob this would still be fine.

Also what happens to the 13A fused spurs - it looks like I need 16A if not 20A, do these exist?? I don't understand how you wire these things in. Obviously not going to do this myself but I need to know if it's possible to add these new appliances before order them and then find out that it's going to require a complete re-wire of my flat just to have a better oven!

Please advise. many thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you may have a 'normal' cooker circuit in place but it is impossible to tell from here.

We need to know, for sure, the size of the cables which are there but the 32A MCB will be alright for your new appliances.

As you intend to employ an electrician to do the work, ask one to have a look and assess the situation beforehand.

Thanks for your reply EFL...

So I've currently got a workman round who is taking some tiles off the wall, he has unscrewed and taken out the old oven and turns out it's just on a normal plug!

Now waiting for an electrician to turn up to check out the wiring and advise if it will be possible for me to have this induction hob & oven or if it's going to cost £££ to get the whole flat rewired...

Just posting an update in case it is useful to anybody having similar issues.

I've had the carpets taken up, floorboards up and wiring checked out.

The cabling to the kitchen was insufficient as was only 1.5 or 2.5 mm or whatever so the electrician has had to install new cabling - 6mm and 10mm cable as well as 20A and 32A isolator switches in the kitchen and two additional 32A fuse thingymajigs on the consumer unit to accommodate the new oven and induction hob.

It's not a cheap job and also a lot of mess involved what with flooring being taken up but it is worth doing for the future. The other option would have been to not have new appliances, or to have to stick with a gas not induction hob but there was always going to be an issue with the oven potentially tripping out the circuit.

Hope this is of use to anyone else considering new kitchen appliances - it's really not always as simple as just plugging something new in. DO get your wiring checked out!

Sponsored Links
he has unscrewed and taken out the old oven and turns out it's just on a normal plug!
That used to be very common.

And it still is, in the rest of Europe. where plugs are designed to go up to a 16A load.

But in the UK, Continental products like that are a problem to install - they can't go on a plug, or an FCU as they take more than 13A, but neither can they, commonly, go directly onto a 32A cooker circuit, either because the manufacturer specifies a lower rated circuit and/or because the supply cable terminals aren't big enough to take the size cable you need on a 32A circuit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back