Install one extra double socket to bedroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I as a D.I.Y person allowed to connect a spur for one extra double socket to an existing ring main socket in a bedroom? Are there any tests, like measure loop impedance or certificates required for this? Can this be done without the need of a qualified electrician? Do I need to inform anyone?

Sponsored Links
There s nothing stopping you but please be aware that you don't know if the installation is safe before you start or after

Sponsored Links
Am I as a D.I.Y person allowed to connect a spur for one extra double socket to an existing ring main socket in a bedroom?
Yes.
Are there any tests, like measure loop impedance or certificates required for this?
Yes.
Can this be done without the need of a qualified electrician?
Yes.
Do I need to inform anyone?
No.

Anyone is allowed to do any electrical work (in England) but that anyone must do it properly and follow the only law which applies to the work.

1705063433906.png

If you are meaning this bit:

"Firstly before you start you need to register your intent to carry out DIY electrical work with your local authority and pay their part P building regulation consent fee. See links below. If you don't register the works then your effectively breaking the law and could be fined up to £5000."

That is quite simply wrong.

Apart from anything else, the notification procedure is nothing to do with Part P (which is above in its entiriety) but Regulation 12 of The Building Regulations.

This lists the work which must be notified - only three types in England:

Quite simply, take with an extremely large pinch of salt the info you hihlighted on mybuilder.
Yes you can do it yourself.
You must be competant enough to do it safely.
That tester you mentioned only shows part of one thing - it looks like it might be OK polarity-wise but not conclusively using that equipment.
Really you should be testing that 1/ the circuit you are adding to is OK and safe to do so and 2/ the the bit you are adding is likewise.
It can only really be done properly by someone competant enough and using the correct test gear (two or more meters or one multi function meter).
However, in practice, many do such additions and do not test. We do not actually find piles of dead bodies littering the streets from such works, or indeed from repairing car brakes etc but there are dangers.
Clint Eastwood said "Each man should know his limitations .
Donald Rumsfeld talked about known knowns, known unknowms and unknown unknowns.
Bear in mind what they said.

On the subject of part P

England use one version (2013)
Wales use another version (2010)
Scotland and Northern Ireland don't have Part P

As long as you live in England what you propose isn't a new circuit or within zones in a bathroom then no notification required

mrrusty - I can not see any mention of Zs in ohms there so I wonder what confirms good eludes to?

"checks the presence of the earth connection, the 107, more importantly, also checks the quality" Hmm , not sure!

a simple 3 light LED/Neon tester gives three lights even if N & E are reversed for a start (or even the E dervived from N via an internal link - I have such a setup in a dedicated test only socket at home to avoid RCD trips) so a physical look might be in order.

I agree that as a "quick ruf test" they have some use though as a better than nowt sort of thing

Last edited:
Thank you all for clearing that up for me, I will get on with the job now.

On the subject of part P
Or not.

England use one version (2013)
Wales use another version (2010)

Nope, same version:
1705231451627.png

That's it. There is no more.

As said above - and ignored - the notification requirements are in separate Building Regulations - Regulation 12 in England and Schedule 4 for Wales.

It's only been eighteen years.

You are probably referring to Approved Document P which is just some guidance that someone wrote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back