Installation of central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has already been covered but I have I have tried to look for a suitable answer.

I currently have hot air heating which is inefficient which is frankly no good. I am looking to install a combi boiler with 5 radiators ( one in each bedroom, a towel rail, one in the longue and one in the kitchen). Does the immersion heater go if I get this done. Does the hot water tankin the loft also go?

What is a suitable quote as I have a wide range, the cheapest seemingly to be from less known people.

Haas anyone had any experience of British gas installation as I am warey of them for some reason.

Hope everyone had a good new year!

Sponsored Links
I put in a 30kw combi and radiators in the average house for
£2500.
Yes the old hot water tank and header tank goes.

It would be interesting if you quoted what quotes and boilers
you have been quoted for.

if you have a combi, the hot water cylinder in most cases will go, and so you will also lose the immersion heater. The tanks in the loft will also go as the combi will be part of a sealed system.

I have seen combi's installed but where the cylinder has been retained with an immersion heater by using isolation valves. ( The domestic hot water flow from the combi had been plumbed into a tee at the top of the exisiting water cylinder, and an isolation valve fitted at the top of the cylinder and in the DHW flow. When the combi was working the cylinder was isolated and the DHW from the boiler flowed down the pre existing pipework from the top of the cylinder and to the HW taps. In the event of a boiler breakdown, the guy could isolate the boiler DHW flow and open the valve on the cylinder outlet. He could then heat the cylinder water with the immersion heater and still have HW in the house whilst the boiler was broken. To prevent water stagnation he used to open the valve and flush some water through the cylinder and tank in the loft on a monthly basis without heating it)

As for british gas - i only had one experience with them at my mums place and they did a rubbish job. They undersized the boiler, messed up the pipework and had to come back on a weekly basis for about 3 months before it was right (they had to swap the boiler for a bigger one)

There are many aspects to be taken into account when designing a heating system.

In many cases its cheaper and sometimes better to fit a heat only boiler and retain the hot water cylinder.

All it needs is a competent and HONEST installer who does not "just fit a combi" in every case.

"Dorset" is a large county and prices vary widely between Bournmouth and Weymouth!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would not keep the cylinder with a heat only boiler if it is to be heated only by an immersion heater. Modern combis are pretty reliable if installed properly. Try TES in Sturminster Newton.

When I suggested that a hot water cylinder could be retained I only meant keeping the existing one if it was already an indirect one.

Otherwise I meant that it would be replaced with a new indirect one.

In most cases better hot water performance is obtained from a cylinder.

Whilst combis are reliable, mains flow rates cannot be assumed and always need to be measured before considering a combi.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back