Installing 2 * 2 gang sockets in place of a single socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum so thanks for any help in advance.

I have recently purchased a house and am in the process of renovating.

It has 3 bedrooms and each one has a single socket. Ideally I would like 4 sockets in each bedroom.

Now when I took the backs off the sockets to have a look i found they are not on a ring main. They all have just 3 wires going into them (1*L + 1*N + 1*E) not the 6 you would expect for a ring.

Now I am guessing that some ware there is a junction box that the wires from each socket will connect at, then a single wire runs from this junction box to the consumer unit.

Is it safe for me to simply add more sockets if this is the case - 4 per room. Or should i rewire the whole circuit as a proper ring?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
In order to ensure you don't overload a cable you are restricted to one single or one double to each spur.

However you can get sockets with fuse built in that have three sockets which you could also use.

This is assuming 2.5mm spurs off a 32A ring main. But radial circuits are also permitted and with a 20A radial system you could have more and there is nothing in your post to indicate how it is wired.

Fuse sizes would help.

is the circuit supposed to be a ring?

it could be a radial? what is the rating of the of the device is protecting the cable and what is the cross sectional area of the cable?

You should get it checked by an electrician to be safe

Sponsored Links
To add so many extra sockets to an existing unknown circuit is pointless.

Disconnect the existing ones and put in a complete new circuit.

At the consumer unit it has a bs 32 thingy with a switch, but also has a reset button marked 30ma. They are the only 3 sockets on the circuit.

I am unsure of the gage of wire as it is fairly old and has no visible markings, but looks quite substantial.

I am leaning towards the idea of just setteling for double sockets in each room.

Assuming it is a radial installation and i do put in a double sockets would the following loads be acceptable:

1. computer, monitor, desk lamp, speakers.

2. tv, computer, 2 monitors, speakers lamp

thanks again

Even with a radial you would have two cables at each socket except for the last one on a radial.

Thats unless each socket has its own fuse/cb.

Lets have a pic of your consumer unit - always eliminates a lot of guess work and sometime creates some hilarity!

How about changing the 32 to a 20 and sticking the sockets where you want.

Or does this 32amp cover all the sockets in the property?

change that fuse/breaker to a 20 then you can add sockets where you want.
it wont have to be a ring.

so if i put a 20 in can i then just put a junction boxes in each room and put 4 sockets in each room connected to the new boxes. Or must i find where the wire supplying the sockets split and make the connections there?

Also the consumer unit is quite old, it has 5 slots. u-lights, d-lights, u-sockets, d-sockets and boiler. It dose not have an RCD. The u-sockets is the only thing rcd protected as it has one build into the bs 32.

So should i replace it with a 20 that has a built in rcd?

If you cannot understand what i am rambeling about i will post some pictures tommorow to make things clearer

Just want to make something else clear,

I am not so sure it is a radial circuit.

This is a radial circuit as i understand:

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/radial.jpg

If the circuit was radial then at least 2 of the 3 sockets would have 2 sets of wire going into them. I have looked and all sockets have a single set of wires going into them.

So i amuse there is a connection from the consumer unit to a junction box then from the junction box to each socket.

So i amuse there is a connection from the consumer unit to a junction box then from the junction box to each socket.

Yes I'd assume so too.

I think you have two options,
1. rewire the rooms in either radial or a ring (upto you which)
2. change fuse rating to 20 then stick sockets where you want em.

That picture is a radial circuit.

As your 3 sockets only have a single cable to them, this means there is one or several junction boxes concealed under the floor where they are not allowed to be.

To use this mess of a circuit you will need to:
1. Determine the size of the cable in use
2. Add an RCD to the circuit is it hasn't got one already and possibly change the MCB, or use a RCBO of suitable rating.
3. Remove the floorboards and locate the junction box(es).
4. Replace cables to the existing sockets so that there are no connections under the floor.
5. Add cables as required for the new sockets

Or, just scrap the lot and install a new circuit.

2. change fuse rating to 20 then stick sockets where you want em.

Yes but remember that you will only be able to draw 20Amps from the sockets - fine if you only have lights and TVs etc but no good if you have heavy loads like kitchen appliances and electric fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back