Installing 2 Outdoor Lights to indoor switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help with an issue I've got.
We've recently bought a new build house and asked for 2 outdoor light points either side of the door to work off an indoor switch.
We've bought 2 lights and now have come to fit them.

On the left hand side of the door is the first light point.
It has 2 thick grey cables, each consisting of a Black, Grey, Brown and Bare wire.
The right hand side of the door is the second light point.
This has a single grey cable consisting of a Black, Grey, Brown and Bare wire.

The 2 lights are non-motion sensor lights, they are simple outdoor lights.
Each has a small plastic box with a blue, yellow-green and brown.

I know very little about electrics, but I'm guessing if I only had 1 light outside then there would only be 1 cable coming from within the house, but as there is 2 I must have to link them some how.

Anyone any ideas?

(House was only built a month ago so has the latest regulations or whatever im guessing)

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
I would guess on a three position switch Off/Auto/On maybe Auto/Off/On as centre off quite common but you would have to look at the as built plans.

Likely some where there is a removed fuse or a removed wire as clearly the people wiring it up would not want it to go live without a lamp being in place.

Black, Grey, Brown are three phase colours and in theroy there should be brown and blue sleeves. But although one may guess on what colour would be what there is no colour code for what wire should be what colour when used on a single phase supply.

You need to get out the as built plans.

If you are lucky, this house being very new will have all connections at the switch positions.

Look behind the switch that operates these lights and take a photo and post it here.

Turn off the supply first.

You will need to link them but you will do this at the fitting, as the second cable will feed the light on the RHS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back