1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a 2 tier deck

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by dirkk, 30 May 2010.

1. dirkk

dirkk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey guys

Just looking for a little advice on a plan to deck 2 small area's of my garden

The pic above shows the 2 slabbed patio areas we want to deck

Top Deck - 2.3m x 2m
    Bottom Deck - 5m x 2.7m

Her indoors wants straight running deck (not Heron Bone or angled)so that make life a bit easier

What I am thinking of doing is making a simple 1-2" High Support (Anchored to the concrete slabs)

My questions (So far) are

1) Should I lay the wooden support platform directly onto the existing slabs or should I raise it slightly (using evenly spaced out slabs) to keep it off the ground and away from direct contact with laying rain water ?

2) Should the deck be slightly angled away from the house to allow rain water to run off ?

3) Also is there any rule of thumb on how many cross supports (Noggins) required ?

Thanks in advance

Also, I am right in thinking that I will need to install a ledger board

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Thermo

Thermo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1:- yes raise it. use wodden legs then you can get the frame at the level you want

2: a slight incline will help

3:- just whats needed to stop the deck moving. we normally use a cross bearer running under the joists and fix them to that. a lot quicker and easier than seperate noggins

4. dirkk

dirkk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info guys

Have done a sketchup diagram so to keep myself right

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local