Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

Just looking for a little advice on a plan to deck 2 small area's of my garden

View media item 23026
The pic above shows the 2 slabbed patio areas we want to deck

Top Deck - 2.3m x 2m
Bottom Deck - 5m x 2.7m

Her indoors wants straight running deck (not Heron Bone or angled)so that make life a bit easier

What I am thinking of doing is making a simple 1-2" High Support (Anchored to the concrete slabs)

My questions (So far) are

1) Should I lay the wooden support platform directly onto the existing slabs or should I raise it slightly (using evenly spaced out slabs) to keep it off the ground and away from direct contact with laying rain water ?

2) Should the deck be slightly angled away from the house to allow rain water to run off ?

3) Also is there any rule of thumb on how many cross supports (Noggins) required ?

Thanks in advance

Also, I am right in thinking that I will need to install a ledger board

Sponsored Links
1:- yes raise it. use wodden legs then you can get the frame at the level you want

2: a slight incline will help

3:- just whats needed to stop the deck moving. we normally use a cross bearer running under the joists and fix them to that. a lot quicker and easier than seperate noggins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back