INSTALLING A 7X4 RSJ CORRECTLY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Having read loads of stuff via this website before it seems the best place to ask my question.

I currently have a front and back room divided by a block built wall which is currently taking the load for the upstairs wall which divides two bedrooms and as i can see has the downstair joists resting on the wall.

The wall in question currently has an arch way cut in but i want to remove the whole wall so it becomes one big room.
My question is this: How do i remove the downstairs wall without the upstairs blocks falling through.

I know i have to prop the ceiling with acros to take the load from the joists above but its the blocks falling through from the upstairs wall which is worrying me slightly.

Any diagrams etc would be great

andy

Sponsored Links
You will need to put needles in and acro props to support the wall.

Needles through upstairs wall at floor level, scaffold planks each side of the lower wall supported by acros.

Can also use strong boys.

Sponsored Links
The needles support the wall. Surely you new that mr g?

However, with these, you can normally prop the joists (both sides of the opening), and the joists will hold the wall. The blocks/bricks in between the joists tend to be wedged in and stay up, but even if some do drop, you just replace them

Put a plank across the ceiling (and floor if it is timber) and use 3 or 4 props per side

However, with these, you can normally prop the joists (both sides of the opening), and the joists will hold the wall. The blocks, bricks in between the joists tend to be wedged in and stay up, but even if some do drop, you just replace them

Put a plank across the ceiling (and floor if it is timber) and use 4 or 4 props per side

surely mr w. that propping an inernal wall via floor joists do not require needles....

and by the size of the beam... there is minimal loading...

However, with these, you can normally prop the joists (both sides of the opening), and the joists will hold the wall. The blocks/bricks in between the joists tend to be wedged in and stay up, but even if some do drop, you just replace them

Put a plank across the ceiling (and floor if it is timber) and use 3 or 4 props per side

and mr. w. you should never prop from a timber floor....

did your father not teach you anything.... :)

did your father not teach you anything.... :)

Yes, but he was in sales not building :p

No problem in propping off a timber floor though ... "by the size of the beam... there is minimal loading..." ;)

Mr G, Mr W

The load is only a 3m x 2.2m high wall made of blocks so a 7x4 is plenty strong enough for that particular job.

So, if the upstairs wall is sitting on the joists then needles will not be required. The only thing which will possibly happen is a few bricks coming loose and a simple replacement of blocks after the rsj is installed is all thats required.

Im cutting the ceiling out Saturday so i will get a clearer picture of the joists etc then but history tells me in this house things arent always what they seem, lol

Cheers lads

Having done quite a few jobs like yours I can say the canter lever action of the bricks/blocks above usually hold tight enough while you get the lintel in place, obviously the amount of time between no direct support and the lintel in place needs to kept to a minimum, no wondering off for a brew before fitting the lintel ;)

The load is only a 3m x 2.2m high wall made of blocks so a 7x4 is plenty strong enough for that particular job.

.... and loads from half of the span of joists to each room either side of the beam and the furniture etc

Plus anything from the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back