installing a back boiler (is it possible?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone tell me whether this idea is a) Possible, b) Practical and C) Worth it?.

I currently have a Combi Boiler, that provides all my heating needs. I am soon going to be installing a woodstove in my front room as both a feature and an additional source of heat.

Would it be possible to plumb in a back boiler that would work in series with the exisiting combi and so making my gas bills cheaper. Or would the cost of such a job out weigh any benefits?

Any opinions are appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well my personal opinion would be don't do it. But wait a mo, I've thought again ..... are you insane?. Right, my final thought is noooooooooooooooo.

:D

dave12 said:
I currently have a Combi Boiler, that provides all my heating needs.

Thats the first time I've ever heard someone admit that!

dave12 said:
Would it be possible to plumb in a back boiler that would work in series with the exisiting combi and so making my gas bills cheaper. Or would the cost of such a job out weigh any benefits?

No is the simple answer. If you had a cylinder with two coils then you heat one from the fire heat exchanger (gravity flow) and the other by the boiler. You have to ask yourself is it worth going to this hassle!

Sponsored Links
htgeng said:
dave12 said:
INo is the simple answer. If you had a cylinder with two coils then you heat one from the fire heat exchanger (gravity flow) and the other by the boiler. You have to ask yourself is it worth going to this hassle!

Just like I wanted to say - hehe :)

Hi,

Could anyone tell me whether this idea is a) Possible, b) Practical and C) Worth it?.

I currently have a Combi Boiler, that provides all my heating needs. I am soon going to be installing a woodstove in my front room as both a feature and an additional source of heat.

Any opinions are appreciated

Thanks

I know this is an old post.
You are now allowed to fit BBU / Back Boilers

Seven years ago the poster should have been told that he could have heated water from a back boiler using a new cylinder with two coils and a rad or two specifically for the back boiler as a heat sink.

The only think he cannot do is couple the back boiler up with the combi.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back