1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a contractor switch, including breaking the fuse seal

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by RTPS, 1 Feb 2017.

1. RTPS

RTPS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello, would anyone happen to know the regulations with doing this please? Do you need specific training to remove the main fuse?

Many thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. omega015

omega015

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Please don't take offence at this but as your asking this question DO NOT touch the main fuse. This is only meant to be touched by the network operator, an electrician isn't even meant to touch it (though some do). It has security seals for a reason (or should anyway). Great care has to be taken when pulling main fuses which only trained persons should do with the right protective equipment and following a certain procedure. Pulling a fuse can be very dangerous as they don't always pull easily creating a very dangerous situation. Again DO NOT touch this.

If you need an isolator fitting then call your electrical provider and speak to them, if you had another reason to ask please give us some more details.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. RTPS

RTPS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello, thank you for that. Don't worry, i know not to remove them or tamper with them in any way. I know electrical contractors have certain engineers who are 'qualified' to remove the fuse, and re-seal. I am wondering what constitutes as qualified as i can't seem to find the information online.

Thanks again

5. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. colinc

colinc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some suppliers will install an isolator for free. NPower just did ours.

Worth a call.

Colin

7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    DNO fuse removal.jpg
    PPE required!

Actually this posed photo is not correct.
    1. I am not sure if that fleece is flame retardant
    2. He is planning to pull the main fuse with the load still connected, but you get the idea.

8. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed, although I have, in my limited experience, never seen that done. Certainly when my meter was changed two or three weeks ago, the chap was on a metal stepladder with absolutely no PPE - although he was careful to disconnect the loads before he pulled the fuses.

Kind Regards, John

9. Echo the husky

Echo the husky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't forget the over gloves to protect the insulating ones from being cut! A right pain to work with...

10. Sponsored Links
  11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whatever the DNO in that area consider to be "qualified", as they are the ones who give authorisation.

12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above. Different DNOs have different rules.
    My local DNO (SSE) have a procedure for the removal of seals in the cut out (NOTE not the meter itself) by members of certain CPS. Note that they allow the removal of the seal/fuse in an emergency by anybody. The procedure for routine work is interesting.

The whole document can be found here

Procedure for the removal and replacement of company cut-out seals ...

13. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't do it (got a switch fitted for free by the energy supplier) but when he came he just turned off the cu, cut the seal, opened the metal door and pulled out the fuse carrier which had an actual fuse wire in it. He had no idea the rating but he said it's extremely old.
    When the dno came to replace the whole 3 phase cutout, they did the same, the only ppe used was the 1kv gloves when they had one of the live cables exposed and waving about in their hand.
    So what I'm saying is it's perfectly safe if you know what you're doing, and extremely dangerous otherwise!

14. stillp

stillp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Different DNOs have different procedures. Mine had full PPE, a cover for the live conductor while it was disconnected, and a colleague watching in case of accidents.

15. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would imagine that they are probably much more vigilant (in relation to PPE etc.) when they are actually going to disconnect a live conductor. It's when they have just been 'pulling fuses' (to facilitate downstream work) that I have personally never seen PPE used.

Kind Regards, John

16. stillp

stillp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, but the job they had arrived for was just to pull the fuse - they only disconnected the conductor to replace the fuse holder, which had been broken by a previous 'electrician' (he didn't want to break the seal, so broke the cover instead!)

17. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local