installing a cork tile floor over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, sorry to ask for help on my first post. I want to install a cork floor over the concrete floor I have. I have done cork tiles before but on a wood floor that had had hardboard nailed on top, so I just glued the tiles down and that was that.
I have been told that I should put down a damp proof membrane first. I want it to be warm, so I was thinking that maybe I should do the DPM, then battens, then ply, then tiles? Would this work? Another house I know in the area has this solution, but with polystyrene tiles in between the battens under the ply (actually, might be chipboard) for additional warmth.

If this approach is the right one, I would love to hear any tips from someone who's done it - what went right, what went wrong? How do I affix the battens to the floor, just screws? (And if this is the wrong approach, please feel free to suggest another one!)
Also, I was assuming I would use cork tiles, but my friends have a floor laid of long strips of cork approx 600mm wide and several meters long - any idea what this is?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back