Tiling over cork tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer wants a new natural slate floor and has cork tiles down already. Want to know if anyone has ever laid over the top of cork or does it need removing first, The cork is adhered to a solid floor screed. Otherwise I guess I could put thin ply down and tile on that. Any help would be great. Many Thanks..........Max.

Sponsored Links
Hi Madmax,
No replies to your queri.
I also want to put porcelaine tiles onto existing cork tiles (70 years old).
What did you do in the end?
Regards,
Walter

I doubt you will get a reply, Madmax only ever made this one post.

Walter,
I decided to tile over the cork tiles using a quality flexable tile adhesive and grout and it worked fine. Floor has been down for several months without problems. Make sure you get any loose stuff up first and remember to use adhesive and grout for wooden floors - the flexi stuff. Good luck..........Max.

having this dilemna myself.. notice still no sound advice from the pros.. done plenty of tiling before but existing cork tiles are one I've never come across. They seem to be welded on and don't wish to move
so..

should I?...
A) persevere with removal then ply over wooden floorboards

B)Ply over cork then tile

C) tiles straight over cork tiles using appropriate flexi cement as per these guys

any advice appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
If the tiles wont come up then you have a good base for tiling on to. Make sure any loose bits are removed and use a top quality flexi adhesive and seperate grout. If you need to then add a flexi floor additive to the adhesive. I did the same to a cork floor where the tiles would not come up and a year and a half later it is still ok with no cracks in the grout. Go for it..............Max

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back