INSTALLING A DIMMER LIGHT SWITCH - EXTRA WIRES?

The light, the big lump on the ceiling, was it heavy when you put it up .
it is most likely a wire wound tran as steve said.
This is an inductive load (VA) you would need a dimmer that is
either 250VA or 400VA rather than 250W or 400w from there B + Q range.
However it should have worked for a limited time even if wrong.
I take it you pushed the button for ON and OFF :)

Sponsored Links
ha ha ha yes i did press the button to switch it on! i may be a woman but i'm definitely not that blonde!! lol

i wouldnt say the light was mega heavy, no. but i'd say the part nearest the ceiling containing all the wires was quite a bit bulkier than other light fittings i've had if thats of any relevance

so you suggest i should get the other type of switch?

It is the wrong switch so you possibly will need to swop it, yes

Although usually it would work to a certain extent, unless it failed straight away when you powered up

I would isolate power and put the old switch back and try the light first.

Your wires sound suspect, the amount of cores you say, however if it worked before, then not to worry.
Just be concerned with the two in the switch.
And check all the blacks in that plastic box are secure.
Assuming you never altered or moved the other wires

i wouldnt say the light was mega heavy, no. but i'd say the part nearest the ceiling containing all the wires was quite a bit bulkier than other light fittings i've had if thats of any relevance

If its heavy it is most likely wire wound.

If light it is most likely electronic.

This could determine the dimmer needed and possibly may not be dimmable at all.

The light instructions may give advise on dimming the light.

Sponsored Links
Even if it's the incorrect dimmer for the tranny it should still work for a short while??

I'd check the fitting first then change the switch..

i have two thick grey wires to work with - one with 2 red and 1 black wires, and the other 2 black one red.
That really doesn't seem likely.

Are you sure that nothing horribly dangerous like the earth core being used for something else is going on?

Photos would be useful.

as recommended by someone in B&Q when i asked which one i needed.
B&Q don't employ people who are competent to give advice like that - they really don't.

i have two thick grey wires to work with - one with 2 red and 1 black wires, and the other 2 black one red.

Any ideas?

If you have accurately described your wiring and there is no sleeving on these cores, then someone has used two core & earth cable and is using the cpc as a live conductor.

Apologies to BAN. I've done my usual posting without reading all the guff beforehand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back