installing a dimmer

G

greeny4

I am installing a 2 gang 1 way dimmer on a new circiut. Each gang has 3 points, L1 L2 and ~^. I have 4 cables all red, black and earth. 2 are live feed in then goes to next socket to feed outside lights, 1 is to spots and 1 is to wall downlights. Can you tell me which cable goes where on the dimmer swich. I need a live neutral and earth for the wall and spot light connections. Thanks for your help Rick.

Sponsored Links
I am installing a 2 gang 1 way dimmer on a new circiut. Each gang has 3 points, L1 L2 and ~^. I have 4 cables all red, black and earth. 1 is live feed in then goes to next socket to feed outside lights, 1 is to spots and 1 is to wall downlights. Can you tell me which cable goes where on the dimmer swich, thanks for your help Rick.

OK, so you say here that you have four cables, yet you only seem to list what three of them do. My interpretation of what you actually have is this:

2x loop in/out (outgoing supplies next switch which feeds outside light)
1x feed to spotlights
1x feed to wall lights

It sounds as if you have loop-in at switch wiring, in which case you should turn the power off, check for dead and then wire as follows:

ALL black cables to be connected in a terminal block and pushed out of the way towards rear of the backbox

One red loop in/out wire (doesn't matter which) to be linked to ~ on one switch (again, doesn't matter which), the remaining red loop wire to go to ~ on the other switch. Both ~ terminals must also then be linked using a short length of red wire.

All earth connections to be sleeved in green/yellow and then to earth terminal on switch. If switch is plastic then use earth terminal in backbox, or if plastic backbox and plastic switch, link all earths in a piece of terminal block.

Finally, wire red wire to spots to L1 on one of the switches, red wire to wall lights should be wired to remaining L1 on the other switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back