Installing a Filling Loop on WB 24i Junior

Sponsored Links
Possibly. But I'd still be inclined to look somewhere within the vicinity of the boiler for any openings in the plasterboard (or at the back of a kitchen cupboard if that's where the boiler is) or even loose floorboards for an existing filling loop.

boiler in kichen fill loop under floorboards in bedroom on opposite side of house :evil:

Possibly. But I'd still be inclined to look somewhere within the vicinity of the boiler for any openings in the plasterboard (or at the back of a kitchen cupboard if that's where the boiler is) or even loose floorboards for an existing filling loop.

boiler in kichen fill loop under floorboards in bedroom on opposite side of house :evil:
Aha, found it - is this the one under the laminate boards?

Op, while you're waiting, if there is a drainoff valve somewhere on a radiator for example, you could attach a hose to this (with a jubilee clip!!!) and to a mains tap and use this to purge any existing air from the radiators. You may be able to get it up to something close to a working pressure anyway if the hose is tightly attached.

Well, I took a look and in a cupboard under the boiler, tucked in a corner there's a cut-out.

It looks like some kind of valve.

Picture attached - sorry for the quality but the angle is a ... pain.

Is that gonna be it?

Sponsored Links
You would be better fitting a standard filler loop, between the mains and the boiler return.

Well, I took a look and in a cupboard under the boiler, tucked in a corner there's a cut-out.

It looks like some kind of valve.

Picture attached - sorry for the quality but the angle is a ... pain.

Is that gonna be it?

What you need is a return pipe, and a mains pipe less than 300 mm away from each other; the standard braided hose is about 250 mm long.

doitall - I think you're right, I'll just fit the Filling Loop I bought - sounds a lot easier than screwing around with pipes in awkward cupboards.

doitall - I think you're right, I'll just fit the Filling Loop I bought - sounds a lot easier than screwing around with pipes in awkward cupboards.
If you are lucky. I installed a system at a refurb project years ago (last budget job I ever did) and put the drain point and filling loop in the manhole right next to the boiler as it "spoiled the look of the new kithcen :rolleyes: "
Polish kitchen fitter subsequently covered the floor, including the manhole access, with laminate. No point to have a cellar that is only 2 foot high, is there? "Ve hav mooch beegger cellars." :evil:

They don't advice using the built in job for filling the system anyway, the remote standard filler is much better and 10 x easier to use.

Worked perfectly. Once the isolators were off the Filling Loop just plugs in - screw it in as in the manual and pressure is back from 0.6 to 1.5 and all the radiators actually work!

Thanks guys!!

Glad you got it sorted.
One warning though. The good thing about these fillers is that they don't seize or scale up. The downside is that they are not very forgiving when overtightened.
Safety check:
Put towel under boiler.
Take filling key out, a bit of water will spill but that is just what is above the key and should stop in seconds. (couple of spoon fulls maybe)
Slowly undo open the valve until it starts dripping. Turn the knob slightly (probably less than 1/4 turn.)
This will give you an idea how little force is needed to shut the valve.

Wonder what that stopend is all about :confused: Suspect it was part of the original filling loop which subsequently got in the way of the kitchen. Looks like 15 teed off 22, so possible

Well the boiler was changed, you can tell because there's need a new hole put through the wall (to the outside) for a new Flue so the old boiler may have had a filling loop there. That or that's how he filled it up initially.

And yes, when I remove the key there is a bit of water which I guess is just left around in the pipes. The amount of turn needed wasn't much - seems to fill up pretty slowly but I had the mains water pressure down incase of a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back