Installing a large 220cm x 140cm window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3m x 3m conservatory which will be knocked down and rebuilt from scratch with a new large UPVC or Aluminium window W=220cm H=140cm. I plan to buy a polycarbonate 25mm roof for the structure.

My question is: Is 20cm of brickwork on top of the window enough to hold such a large window, or should I re-think my window size?

Is it easier for builders to install aluminium or UPVC window (which one will cost me less)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Window wall plan: http://www.zen7142.zen.co.uk/mywindow.gif

Sponsored Links
who cares what it costs (ali v pvc) the questions you should be asking is will it match what i have, will I (that is you) like what it looks like.

remember you will have to look at which ever you opt for for some years to come

Hm - I seem to remember that building regs require an 800mm return between corners and windows - you only have 500mm on your diagram. Could be wrong of course.

the window will be secured in at the jambs, not the head of the window. how are you going to support the brickwork over the window though?

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much for your comments.
Thermo said:
how are you going to support the brickwork over the window though?
I have no idea. I just worked out the plan from what I have at the moment (poorly executed DIY job from the previous owner). Current structure has two evenly spaced single glazed windows (which are in very poor condition) and 20cm of brickwork on top. I think this structure is part building blocks, part bricks. I thought I could do the same but put in one big double glazed window.

Am I planning this all wrong?

Use something like catnic lintel for the brickwork on top etc
cglintel.gif

I've always known it to be 450mm on return corners, check with BCO.

UPVC window will be cheaper than aluminium window, even more cheaper if you have a local window company selling reject window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back