Installing a lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm creating an opening of 1500mm in an internal block wall.

I have a lintel (1800mm long), I've checked the joists above, they run parallel to the wall so there's no joists resting on the blockwork.

However, the blockwork does continue up as it forms the wall to our bedroom.

Am I okay to just cut the letterbox opening and slide the lintel in, without propping anything up?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the cement is good, as it's blockwork rather than bricks, I'd say that if you use a diamond blade with a controlled amount of water over it, then you could get away with it. With brickwork, that distance would drop, but blockwork should hold. You could fit a piece of 3x1 across the opening, and put a couple of bolts in each block to support it, and that'll give you easier access to the opening whilst you work.

Thank you for your replies.

Should I cut my hole to the exact depth of the lintel, or cut it slightly bigger and stuff dry cement between the top of the lintel and the existing blockwork?

Sponsored Links
upload_2017-2-7_17-31-25.png

No need for props in the end. The blocks above held in place a treat.

Thanks for your help.

upload_2017-2-7_17-32-57.png

Can i just ask a quick question?
Why have you made a large opening then blocked up half of it with studwork?
Also is that 4x2 pse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back