Installing a NEST to a Vaillant Turbomax

Problem is there is only one choice now - it's the 3rd gen nest and that's it. The one that I think you are referring to is the Nest E thermostat and that appears to be discontinued. I will try to find out about my boiler first by opening a new thread as you suggest.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan,
I presume I could proceed with the wiring on page 5 - I'll take a look at my boiler tomorrow to see if it appears the same and somewhere I know I've got the manuals so I'll dig those out too before I decide on Hive or Nest

Sponsored Links
F34BD031-F1AD-4E59-AD24-8E797A766696.jpeg
Hi all. Just followed MikeyD instructions from first page for a VUW GB 242 E Turbomax - worked perfectly. Old Honeywell thermostat has been left in situ, annoying, but it runs on 240v and couldn’t find an easier way to switch it to the USB voltage needed by the thermostat :/ Photos attached in case it helps. Happy to answer questions if it helps too.

Attachments

• C2151AA7-6A20-41D1-9BE7-C6DC3E0BD206.jpeg
    C2151AA7-6A20-41D1-9BE7-C6DC3E0BD206.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2E4DBD77-ADB8-494B-A8FB-943D93FD9AE3.jpeg
    2E4DBD77-ADB8-494B-A8FB-943D93FD9AE3.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 69EB71DD-202D-49C2-A79A-72C328F4B5AE.jpeg
    69EB71DD-202D-49C2-A79A-72C328F4B5AE.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 713ABDBF-4139-4C7A-9CE8-D12EBC91CBD7.jpeg
    713ABDBF-4139-4C7A-9CE8-D12EBC91CBD7.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 189
SO I;ve jsut got around today to wiring up the heatilink to my turbomax plus 824 as per the instructions below provided by MikeyD which seem to work for most others with this combination. However once completed boiler turns on but Heatlink appears totally dead, no power light nothing and thermostat powered by usb to bypass previous T1 & T2 wiring comes on but obviously does not connect to heatlink.

I also tried resetting the heatlink and nothing, however when I plug a usb cable nto the heatlink it does power on.

Any one got any idea what may be wrong or is it likely the heatlink is kaputt and needs replacing?

Powerer

According to a post here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152468 , at your boiler, 3,4 and 5 are Live, switched live, and Neutral.
At the nest, 2 is Common, 3 is NO (call for heat) and obviously L and N are Live and neutral.

So, connect boiler 3 (live) to Heatlink L and 2.
connect boiler 4 to Heatlink 3.
connect boiler 5(neutral) to Heatlink N

I managed to get two cores in the live terminal of our heatlink to link across to 2, but I was using the .75mm (I think) cable which went to my old stat.

You have probably worked this out, but the actual nest controller just uses the supplied mains adapter for power, and talks wireless to the heatlink, but if you already have a cable from where you are putting the nest to the heatlink you can use the heatlink T1&T2 terminals to supply the nest controller instead of using the mains adapter.

Any one got any idea what may be wrong or is it likely the heatlink is kaputt and needs replacing?
Hi,

It's probably not the best idea to reopen a seven year old thread! ;)

Anyway, have you a method of double checking the mains wiring is correct to the heatlink and that it is receiving power?

If it is receiving power, but still doesn't work; if this is a new heatlink, send it back!
Otherwise, contact Nest, they may replace it.

...Or if you are handy with a soldering iron :) ...

No agreed but it was the most relevant post to my config when searching, and if it's good it's never too old

Anyway yes unit was installed by qualified electrician, and have checked supply at terminals and appears to be wired correctly with expected voltages.

I've contacted Google nest and as I believed (and from online responses) appears the heatlink is dead and they are sending me a free replacement so hopefully will be all sorted in a couple of days

Hi,

It's probably not the best idea to reopen a seven year old thread! ;)

Anyway, have you a method of double checking the mains wiring is correct to the heatlink and that it is receiving power?

If it is receiving power, but still doesn't work; if this is a new heatlink, send it back!
Otherwise, contact Nest, they may replace it.

...Or if you are handy with a soldering iron :) ...

Can you post a photo of the wiring?
So I've disconnected it all now and put back my existing Honeywell thermostat so the wife can have heating on

Contacted Google who are going to replace the unit for free and hopefully will be up and running no problems by the weekend Basicay I used the exact wiring as previously posted by MikeyD
SO I;ve jsut got around today to wiring up the heatilink to my turbomax plus 824 as per the instructions below provided by MikeyD which seem to work for most others with this combination. However once completed boiler turns on but Heatlink appears totally dead, no power light nothing and thermostat powered by usb to bypass previous T1 & T2 wiring comes on but obviously does not connect to heatlink.

I also tried resetting the heatlink and nothing, however when I plug a usb cable nto the heatlink it does power on.

Powerer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back