Installing a night storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new Storage heater, I'm also moving the plug for the Econamy7 circut so I can reposition the Heater.

Intil I move the E7 socket, can I just wire the heater to the normal Ring Mains? The ring main is 30Amp and the heater is a Dimplex XLS 18N

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
you could but the heater would be on 24/7 since night storage heaters only come on at night when the electricity is cheaper

If you intend to use a 13amp plug for connection this might be unwise, depending the wattage of the heater. If the heater is 1000watts, then this will translate to 5amps. So for every 1000watts you should allow 5amps. If the heater is over 2500watts you may find you keep blowing the plug fuse, or (worse senerio, the 13amp plug could over heat causing a fire). If it's possible why not temporarily extend the existing economy connection to the area you want the new rad to go, it might not be attractive going surface with trunking but at least it would solve the off peak problem and the new unit would be wired to it's own fuse, or should be. If you decide to do this make sure you use 2.5mm 2 core and earth cable for the extension. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
The Heater is 2.55kW so thqat wouls be 12.75Amp. It's only going to be till the weekend so I might give that a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back