Installing a projector on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to mount a projector on a ceiling. Since I have an empty room to work with, I would like to conceal the cables as much as is safely possible.

I figure the easiest and neatest way is to chase the IEC power cord into the wall, put a brush outlet on the ceiling near the projector mount and a fused spur on the other end (bottom of the wall). I'm not sure if that would meet building/safety regs though?

The obvious alternative is to chase 2.5mm twin & earth into the wall and put a power socket either at the top of the wall or on the ceiling but this wouldn’t conceal the wiring so well.

Can anyone advise on the best solution? I've attached a photo incase it helps.

Thanks,
Chris.

Attachments

• projector.jpg
    projector.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
One or more ducts / conduit from the projector position to a suitable wall position.
All cables drawn in afterwards.

If you put cables directly in the wall, it's inevitable that they won't be the ones you want, or others will be required at a later date.

The most future proof way is to stick white plastic self adhesive trunking to the wall - but I guess you don't want that!

The next best way is to do as flameport says, run a few lengths of conduit, ideally round plastic with swept bends. 32mm waste pipe should fit most connectors through it - this is the one weakness of this method, the connectors at the end of cables used to be massive (scart), but nobody uses scart anymore apart from grannies with their freeview boxes and 20 yr old CRT TVs. The biggest connector you get these days is DVI, again most things use HDMI now (smaller) but you never know.

It looks like an alcove you're putting the AV kit in, why not create a false wall and run your ducts behind it, with a brush plate a foot from the floor. You won't loose much space but will save having to chase in a chunky duct.

Are you also concealing your 7:1 cables in the walls? Please don't use a "sound bar" - they aren't as good as the real thing.

Sponsored Links
I embedded rectangular conduit into the wall, large enough to take any likely plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back